× Members

Home Visit for PIP Assessment?

More
7 years 11 months ago #157684 by Kirsty
Home Visit for PIP Assessment? was created by Kirsty
Hi, I'm new to this so very sorry if my question has already been asked. I suffer really bad anxiety and depression and have done for 10 years. I've just had to forms to change from DLA to PIP and have sent them back. I have received a date for a medical assessment and they want me to go a a centre even though I requested a home visit. My anxiety has gone into overdrive. How can I get a home visit from them? Thank you any help much appreciated x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #157689 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Home Visit for PIP Assessment?
Hi Kirsty and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Whether to give a home assessment is entirely at the discretion of the assessor. However, you stand a better chance if your request is supported by a letter from your doctor (indeed, you stand very little chance without).

The claimant is allowed to reschedule the assessment once only without risking the claim being closed. You can use this to your advantage if you need to buy some time (in order to sort out a Dr's letter, for instance) but you need to be very sure that you would be able to keep the next appointment - whether it be scheduled at your home or an assessment centre.

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That means that you will be able to return and ask further questions without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously if everything related to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirsty

More
7 years 11 months ago #157703 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic Home Visit for PIP Assessment?
Hi

The same happened to me, Even though I thought I made it clear on my PIP form that I needed a home visit I got an appointment for an assessment centre. I don't know if you live in a Capita or Atos area but I emailed Capita that day and explained about why I couldn't get to the assessment centre, (mobility issues, acute social anxiety), I don't speak on the phone to strangers so I chose to email them instead.

To my utter surprise they called me back (even though I stated I don't talk on the phone) and offered me a home visit which is taking place this Thursday. I did get a supporting letter from my GP as Gordon advised, but in the event I didn't need it.

I would certainly try asking for a home assessment. Capita are much more likely to give you one than Atos though. I really don't know why I didn't get offered one in the first place. It can't hurt and they may surprise you. :cheer:

More
7 years 11 months ago #157720 by UnhappyHippy
Replied by UnhappyHippy on topic Home Visit for PIP Assessment?
I emailed my MP and she got in touch with the DWP.

I was then told to get a doctors letter stating I was too ill for a visit to the centre and required a home visit.

I would ask your GP to write you a letter and post/email a copy to the PIP (mine was ATOS.

Who claimed they do not do home visits!!!

I think they know their days are numbered and are trying to make financial cutbacks.

Good Luck!

More
7 years 11 months ago #157766 by sue
Replied by sue on topic Home Visit for PIP Assessment?
Hi, im worried ive been given a home assessment appointment but didnt request one.
Think everything about the process causes us worry.

More
7 years 11 months ago #157774 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Home Visit for PIP Assessment?

sue wrote: Hi, im worried ive been given a home assessment appointment but didnt request one.
Think everything about the process causes us worry.

It just means that they accept that your limitations would cause issues with your attending at their offices, I would take it as a good sign.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.