× Members

home visit

More
7 years 11 months ago #157698 by kellyjmb
home visit was created by kellyjmb
Hi has anyone had a home visit from the DWP, my wife is on ESA and been disabled for many years, she got a letter saying she was getting a home visit she is making herself ill over it, any advise or feedback would help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #157700 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic home visit
J

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

It's not that unusual for a home assessment to be offered, the questioning will be less formal from that at an assessment centre and the assessor will not be sat behind a computer, but otherwise it will not de significantly different, there's a section at the back of the ESA Claim guides that covers the assessment.

You wife can have someone with them, which I would recommend and they can choose where the assessment is held. The assessor has no right to look around. Any physical examination I would expect to be limited to muscle strength and joint flexibility in hands, arms and legs.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kellyjmb

More
7 years 11 months ago #157710 by joGP
Replied by joGP on topic home visit
Hi
I had a recent home visit and my husband was there. The lady was very nice and had a prepared list of questions to ask me. I suffer from stroke like symptoms on my left side following brain surgery. She was really just clarifying what I could and couldnt do through her questions. She did ask me to do a couple of physical tests but was keen that I didn't experience pain. So she asked me to lift my arms, one by one, to guage how high I could get my arm, she checked if I was able to put my hand behind my back and how high it could reach (not very at all!). She tested the power on my left side compared to the right. That was about it.
In terms of handling the assessment I'd recommend you check over what you said in your original application (for example re medication I said I had no needs around this, in the interview I said I am able to do it, but my husband does do it but that's through choice). Be truthful in what you can do but be realistic. If it hurts don't do it. Explain the impact of doing certain activities, if you can think of specific examples you can offer.
Good luck with it - don't stress it's not really that bad.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get a decision. so I'm waiting for the brown envelope!

More
7 years 11 months ago #157758 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic home visit

joGP wrote: Hi

I'm not sure how long it takes to get a decision. so I'm waiting for the brown envelope!

It is currently taking upwards of 8 weeks from the assessment to the decision.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.