× Members

Awaiting Phone call from appeal?

• Stephen David Winder
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #153618 by Stephen David Winder
Awaiting Phone call from appeal? was created by Stephen David Winder
Hi,
Y/Day 11/03/2016 I took my wife for her PIP Medical as she had recently been notified that her DLA was to be changed to PIP. We fully expected this & the Medical as 98% of change over applicants are called. We attended & along with other claimants had to wait some 3/4 of an hour before we were called. The person doing this was a Nurse & was very accommodating. However, whilst awaiting our turn to be called, we noticed that the 2 Receptionist's were constantly looking into the screen of one of the 4 screens that were there, & discussing what they were seeing? Although we could not see what they were looking at, being a suspicious kind of bloke I assumed they were watching someone??
After a few minutes we heard a Laugh & the bang of a chair coming from one of the interview rooms, whilst almost immediately the receptionist's turned to this computer screen (I assume to see what was going on)?
Feeling that they were watching someone being assessed, I got up & approached the desk, & at the same time 1 receptionist saw me coming towards her & "ushered" me to the opposite end of the desk to answer my query. In the same instant the computer screen they were watching was turned off? Although I cannot confirm what I was thinking I am pretty sure they were monitoring people's interviews?
When in the room with my wife I was continually looking for a Camera of which if there was one I never spotted?
In conclusion I thought the whole shebang was a waste of time, as, the interviewer just went over the questionnaire my wife had previously filled in? What was the point? IF they were monitoring Interviews I think this is a new Low by ATOS. I was under the impression that they were private & personal between the interviewee & the interviewer? What happened to the Data protection Act?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153715 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Awaiting Phone call from appeal?
S

Welcome to the forum

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I think it very unlikely that the reception staff were monitoring an assessment, it would require there to be cameras in the assessment rooms themselves, which we have never heard of being the case and would likely need the explicit consent of any claimant using the room.

It's much more likely that it was YouTube video of a cat performing some extraordinary antic on a motorbike or some such nonsense that they shouldn't have been watching in the reception area.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Stephen David Winder
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #156548 by Stephen David Winder
Replied by Stephen David Winder on topic Awaiting Phone call from appeal?
Just wondering if any other members have had a similar incident as myself & wife, in that at my wife's Face to Face the "Interviewer" actually made a really condescending remark after she asked my wife a question. It went "Did you go to school, did you do Reading & writing what about Sums"? Throughout the interview the Interviewer was "Rushing" my wife to answer, even before we went inside the room she remarked "it will only take about 1/2 hr. nothing to worry about just a few questions"? She only wanted short responses to the questions she asked? Throughout the Interview she was constantly looking at her watch?
My wife was nervous to begin with without this rubbish being put on her. Would I be in my rights to make a formal complaint? Any comments welcomed.

More
8 years 1 week ago #156569 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Awaiting Phone call from appeal?
Hello Stephen

Before I answer your question, do you know that your full name is showing in your mail? If you want to change this, will you go to 'Frequently Asked Questions' and under the 'forum' heading, there is a message to explain how you do this.

As for your question; well, until you have received a decision about your wife's claim it would perhaps be best to hold fire; I understand how angry you are, but writing BEFORE the Decision Maker has come to any conclusion might not be the sensible way to go? I doubt it would sway the decision, but better to be careful, I suspect.

If the award your wife gets is not what you wanted THEN you can query how the interview was held. Keep hold of the notes you have made, ask for a copy of the assessment report and go from there. Look at the points she gets for each descriptor and if you feel that the assessor was guilty of not listening, or misrepresenting what you wife said, that's when you can come back with instances of unfair/unprofessional behaviour on the part of the assessor.

I'm sorry if that sounds less than helpful but honestly until you know that your wife's assessment resulted in an unfair award, there isn't very much you can do.

If you feel we can help once you have got your result, let us know, please. Good luck :)

• Stephen David Winder
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #156994 by Stephen David Winder
Replied by Stephen David Winder on topic Awaiting Phone call from appeal?
I have just received the update from yourselves re{- Secret Observations & cannot help but agree with the undercover assessments. This has recently happened to my wife when she was informed she would be changing from DLA to PIP. After claiming Benefits for the past 18 years as a Disabled woman, it has suddenly transpired that she is NO LONGER Disabled & has had her payments stopped? The face to face was a Farce, my wife being "Insulted" by the assessor, & continually being Talked down to. The confirmation letter telling her she is no loner entitled to payments, only gave her points for the Aids she has such as Wheelchair etc. NONE of the supporting evidence was taken into account?
We have obviously asked for a Reassessment & are awaiting a phone call.
She was also called for a Medical for her ESA y/day. After having a sleepless night & worrying over what had just happened, we attended to find the Medical has been cancelled? ----With NO explanation whatsoever? Being 62yrs. my wife officially "Retires" in a few Months anyway? I cannot say how much this has affected her. Stressed, Anxious, & bursting into tears is how this Farce has left her. The notice we received from this site (above) just explains the lot. I am convinced this was all decided BEFORE we even received the form to fill in. What a disgusting underhanded tactic ATOS & the others are operating to. It makes Honest people victims. Totally disgusted in the methods used to assess people. I can truly believe everything in your story about article over Channel 4's Dispatches programme. It has happened to my wife!

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #157022 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Awaiting Phone call from appeal?
Hi Stephen,

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I'm sorry that your wife is being so badly affected by all this. I know from personal experience how hard it is when ESA and PIP assessments happen at the same time!

You can complain about the way the assessment was undertaken but this should be a separate matter than the request for reconsideration (by the way, don't hold your breath waiting for a phone call, they rarely happen these days!). You can complain to DWP, ATOS and the assessor's professional body if you wish. In addition, your MP might like to hear how people are really being treated.

Complaining to the DWP

Complaining to ATOS Healthcare

Contacting your MP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.