× Members

Pension Credits Vs State Pension

More
7 years 11 months ago #157728 by Jim Drummond
Pension Credits Vs State Pension was created by Jim Drummond
:woohoo: I became disabled in 2011 and it took me months to get DLA. However, more recently I was advised to convert from ESA Rent and Council tax 100% to Pensionas I qualified at age 64.

I got £102 week Rent & Council Tax 100% after my small other pension and annuities were deducted. When I turned 65 (Feb 2016) I had a letter saying my State Pension would start at 20 February. My state pension in £202 a week after my CSP and 2 annuities are deducted

Immediately my local borough Daventry District Council sent me a letter WITHDRAWING my RENT and COUNCIL TAX BENEFITS effective immediately.

After a worrying few weeks I got a letter saying I had lost nearly all my COUNCIL TAX benefit. leaving me to pay £96 month (£22.15 per week). I had my rent benefit reduced to £59 per week. This leaves me with £58 per week.

HMRC now claim I have a tax liability income of about £2500 as I am over the single rate. All my other small incomes CSP And annuities now have 20% tax deducted. It is in my view not coincidence that the Tax threshold is very similar to the STATE PENSION.

The net result is that ALL YOUR OTHER SOURCES OF INCOME are DEDUCTED from your STATE PENSION. So all that hard savings and investments are USED to provide the HMRC revenue. They are also used to REDUCE your STATE PENSION.

After they have reduced your benefits, DEDUCTED from your STATE PENSION your gross income from private sources, then taxed the same income I am left with a lower income that qualified me for full rent and Tax benefits.

I feel cheated.

Regards

Jim Drummond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #157768 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pension Credits Vs State Pension
J

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Thank you for your post, unfortunately these are not matters that we can assist with on the forum, although I'm not sure that you have asked a question about this situation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.