× Members

Agressive ATOS assessor

More
7 years 11 months ago #157788 by j-mel
Agressive ATOS assessor was created by j-mel
Bit of a long story but we need some advice...
A friend has been given PIP until early 2017...but was sent a form to update his condition. As he had deteriorated further, he added this and was sent an appointment to see an assessor (in the next county!)
The computer system was down (again...we've had this before) and so he wrote his notes on paper.
He seemed completely unaware of my friends health problems and even that this was a reassessment assuming it was an initial PIP assessment. He didn't ask about the new health issues and got increasingly more aggressive. He would not accept answers, kept repeating the same questions and disputing the answers. Intimidating, badgering and bullying.

My friend felt really attacked and responded by saying that he should have been recording him. Well, the assessor exploded and demanded to see his recorder. When he said that he didn't have one...which he didn't...the assessor lost it. My friend stated that his carer actually had one. At this time, my dictaphone, which I always have with me, was in a case at the bottom of a zipped rucksack on the floor next to me in the waiting room. . He stormed up to me and demanded to have my recorder. I protested that it wasn't on but he insisted on it telling me I had broken the law. I got it out and he grabbed it and went back into his office until he finally convinced himself that it was not on and returned my property to me.

I believe that he was so agitated because he thought that he had been caught out behaving like a bully. His reaction was so extreme.

He didn't check how any of the new health or existing issues affected my friend so I cannot see how his report would be able to contribute anything

We are putting in a complaint with Atos now rather than waiting. If we wait for the results, it will seem like sour grapes if it goes against him. Also we don't want him bullying others.

The question I would like an answer to is...as he has already been awarded PIP till 2017, and presumably this is an interview to access if he needs increased PIP due to deteriorating health since his last interview...can they stop the PIP already awarded to him if this man puts in an inaccurate report. Also can we appeal it.

Is this tactic an Atos one or did we just get a nasty piece of work?

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or pointers regarding our complaint to Atos before we send it off?

Thanks

I opened my bag, got out the

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #157795 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Agressive ATOS assessor
Hi j-mel and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am so sorry that your friend had such a horrible experience!

As well as complaining to ATOS you can also complain to the assessor's professional body (NMC if he was a nurse etc) and also let your MP know how people are being treated

Contacting your MP

It is current DWP practice to start the reassessment process 1 year before the end of the award. Any new decision will take effect immediately.

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. Then you can come back with further questions or comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously if everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

EDIT - sorry, I forgot to say -

The assessor will have no knowledge of any previous claim/award. All s/he will have is the current assessment form. That is why every reassessment should be treated in the same way as the initial claim and the form completed in great detail.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.