× Members

ESA mandatory reconsideration failed

More
8 years 11 hours ago #157935 by smileybob
ESA mandatory reconsideration failed was created by smileybob
Hi, I hope that someone can help me.

I suffer from fibromyalgia and as a result have chronic pain, fatigue and cognitive problems.

I have been placed into the Work related activity group but I feel that I should be in the Support group qualifying under the exceptional circumstances rule as activities cause my conditionand pain to worsen.
I spend most of the day lying down as this is the least painful position for me.

I cannot sit for longer than 5-10 mins and the same for walking, I can push through the pain and sit/stand/walk for upto 30 mins but I would then be in unbearable pain and needing to take a long rest lying down and possibly cause a flare up.
I've been honest with telling them that I can push through the pain and then do the activity for upto 30 minutes but suffer as a result but they have taken this as an admission that this is what I can do.

They have told be that I am able to do work related activities even though my doctor has written to them saying that I am unable to do it.

I received a letter today stating that I am not eligible for the support group and that work related activities can be demanding or less demanding depending on your health circumstances. They said that work related activies can be done over the phone.

If work related activies can be done over the phone then surely that would mean that everyone can do them whether they are in pain, limbs missing, blind or mentally affected.
I think its wrong and I wondered if you could advise me and if I should go to appeal.

Many thanks

Smileybob
(now going for a lie down as I am in agony and extremely upset :( )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 hours ago - 8 years 9 hours ago #157946 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA mandatory reconsideration failed
Hi Smileybob (although not so smiley just now I expect :( )

I am sorry that the Mandatory Reconsideration did not go in your favour - but not surprised as it rarely does more than 'rubber stamp' the original decision.

The burden of proof for the 'exceptional circumstances' descriptor is high and, as you say, it is difficult to argue that a short telephone interview would be harmful.

Gordon dealt with this for another poster recently, this is what he said

"Break the Regulation down into it's core parts and explain why and how you meet them.

- So you need to specifically identify the condition that would cause the risk of harm to you or another.

- The risk must be substantial so you need to explain how this is the case for you.

- you need to explain the risk and how it manifest itself

- for Reg 29. you need to explain how this risk is relevant to the your working, this would include our travelling to and from any work.

- Reg 35 you need to explain how the harm relates to Work Related Activity such as your attending Work Focussed Interview or your attending training, or writing a CV as examples.

For Reg 29 you also need to explain why the risk is mitigated by any prescribed medicine or reasonable adjustments that an employer might make."

I suggest you work through this and see how strong a case you can make - that should help you decide whether to take this further. You have 1 month from the date of the MR letter in which to submit your appeal to the Tribunal Service.

As always, you might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. It helps us enormously if everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 9 hours ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smileybob

More
7 years 11 months ago #158874 by smileybob
Replied by smileybob on topic ESA mandatory reconsideration failed
I decided to be proactive and instead of waiting for the benefits system to make arrangements for me to see a Work coach (the person in charge of work related activities) I decided to get myself an appointment.
The nice lady who saw me said that due to my condition she would not be expecting me to do any activities and instead said that she would give me a call every six months to see how I am getting on, If I'm any better and if anything has changed for me. She also said that she would do this over the phone as she understood it wold be painful for me to attend interviews. After talking to her for a while she did advise me that I could always appeal to the courts if I thought I was in the wrong group.
I think its wrong that I have been put into the WRAG group yet I am not expected to do any WRAG activities because of my condition, surely that is what the Support group is for?

With the above in mind, could you please advise me on how I should write an appeal and what information I should include.

I am grateful for all your help

Smileybob :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #158895 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA mandatory reconsideration failed
smileybob

I'm afraid it is not that simple, the two groups are not contiguous as the Government would like people to believe, there is in fact a big gap between the two and it is perfectly possible to be too ill for the WRAG and not ill enough for the Support Group.

To be placed in the SG you need to meet one or more of the associated Descriptors, have a look at the ESA Claim guides for the criteria you would need to meet. If you think that you meet one of these then the first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our ESA MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria for the SG, there are many reasons you may have only been placed in the WRAG, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: smileybob

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.