× Members

Benefits in Hospital

More
7 years 11 months ago #158302 by King_Drax_I
Benefits in Hospital was created by King_Drax_I
I see that if a recipient of PIP, DLA or AA goes into hospital for more than 28 days, the benefit stops until the patient comes out again.

So when should a claimant tell the DWP that the patient is in hospital: straight away, or once they have been in for 28 days?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #158319 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Benefits in Hospital
Hi Drax,

I would say that the DWP should be notified whenever it becomes obvious that the 28 day limit will be exceeded.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: King_Drax_I

More
7 years 11 months ago #158336 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Benefits in Hospital
Sometimes when it looks as tho you will exceed the 28 days,in hospital, you can see if you can get home for a few days, and then return, thus starting another 28 days scenario. I did this with pneumonia, a while back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: King_Drax_I

More
7 years 11 months ago #158338 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits in Hospital

pusscatsmum wrote: Sometimes when it looks as tho you will exceed the 28 days,in hospital, you can see if you can get home for a few days, and then return, thus starting another 28 days scenario. I did this with pneumonia, a while back.

Sorry PCM but it doesn't work like that, time in hospital needs to be separated by at least four weeks for it not be counted as a single period, the day the person goes in to hospital and the day they leave are not counted. Sounds like you may need to contact the DWP :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158343 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Benefits in Hospital
OOps it was suggested by the Dr when this occurred.

As it was a few yrs ago, I think I will let sleeping dogs lie.

I seem to remember quite a few cases where hospitals in the S.W. let people out for long weekends etc for time re DLA and it was mentioned on the news, but this was a good few yrs ago.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158348 by Tcake
Replied by Tcake on topic Benefits in Hospital
Would PIP find out if you ddn't tell them you were in hospital at all?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.