× Members

PIP and POTS / EDS Syndromes

More
8 years 1 day ago #158490 by ChrisB
PIP and POTS / EDS Syndromes was created by ChrisB
Hi all,

My daughter has PoTS and EDS (JHMS) and is a complex fainter (this is the description from her consultant..) She is 17 and just finishing her first year at 6th form - but she only has an attendance of 24% as she is constantly unwell, so she is not likely to progress to the final year.

She faints, followed by seizures, on average 3 times per week and all medication hasn't worked. She needs to be constantly supervised in case she faints and obviously cant do things like cook a meal etc.

Are there any other people out there with similar conditions that have claimed PIP ?.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 day ago #158497 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and POTS / EDS Syndromes
Chris

I'll let other members make their own comments but it is important to understand that it's not the conditions that will result in an award but the limitations that result from then in relation to each of the PIP activities, please have a look at our PIP Claim guide for more details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #159047 by ChrisB
Replied by ChrisB on topic PIP and POTS / EDS Syndromes
Thanks Gordon

Yes I understand its the impact of the condition rather than the condition itself.

Her conditions are quite rare and was wondering if any other members who have the same conditions and what their experience has been on the PIP journey.

We have a text from DWP saying that they have received the application and we may need to go for an assessment. I will need to go with her for two reasons : first she cant get there by herself as she can't drive and I need to accompany her for safety reasons, and secondly I need to explain the impact on her life of the fainting / seizures. She is unaware of what happens when she faints as she is unconscious - so I need to describe what happens and what support we need to give her when she does faint.

Do you know if it is acceptable for me to speak on her behalf during the assessment or does she need to answer all of the questions ?.

As she needs constant supervision, I have also requested a female member of staff be available to supervise her if she needs to go to the toilet - I don't know how this would be viewed...

More
7 years 11 months ago #159081 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and POTS / EDS Syndromes
Chris

There should be no problem with you going with your daughter and being at the assessment with her. I'm afraid if she has no significant problems with communication then she will be expected to answer the questions made by the assessor.

I would not expect the Assessment Provider to supervise your daughter if she needs the toilet at their offices, this would be down to you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.