× Members

DLA RENEWAL

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #158504 by Flower
DLA RENEWAL was created by Flower
I am 71 and have been on high rate care since 2011. I was not given mobility as the reason they stated was I was over 65 and it couldn't be considered. This award was for 5 years.
I filled my renewal claim in a couple of weeks ago with your helpful forms and was awarded high rate care and high rate mobility indefinitely .
I don't understand the mobility part.
Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #158506 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA RENEWAL

jackie wrote: I am 71 and have been on high rate care since 2011. I was not given mobility as the reason they stated was I was over 65 and it couldn't be considered. This award was for 5 years.
I filled my renewal claim in a couple of weeks ago with your helpful forms and was awarded high rate care and high rate mobility indefinitely .
I don't understand the mobility part.
Please help.

Just to make sure I understand your previous award of DLA made after you turned 65 did not include a mobility component, on renewal (at age 71) you have now been given a mobility award.

I'm afraid this makes no sense and worse still presents an overpayment opportunity although the fault would lie with the DWP and not you

You cannot be awarded DLA mobility over the age of 65 unless you were in receipt of a mobility award prior to the age of 65, the only exception to this would be if you could show that you met the criteria for a mobility award prior to the age of 65 even though it had not been awarded.

It's not impossible that this is the case, but it in turn opens the opportunity for an anytime revision of your previous award to include the mobility component.

We are going to struggle to help you with this issue on the forum because it may depend on the information you included with this renewal and your previous one, which we obviously cannot review on the forum.

So I am going to suggest that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search or "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flower

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #158516 by Flower
Replied by Flower on topic DLA RENEWAL
Sorry I wasn't clear
I had low rate DLA from 2009 to 2011 with no mobility award. In 2009 DLA care was increased to high rate with no mobility award as they said they couldn't consider Mobility as I was over 65
This award was for five years.
Couple of weeks ago had renewal arrive with indefinite high rate care and high mobility
Is the mobility award to show I can just claim free car tax?

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #158523 by Bob
Replied by Bob on topic DLA RENEWAL
Well done Jackie on your PIP claim and it seems that it was dealt with very quickly for a change, did you have to have a face to face assessment with a HCP or was your claim awarded with a paper assessment only ?
many thanks
Bob

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #158536 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA RENEWAL

jackie wrote: Sorry I wasn't clear
I had low rate DLA from 2009 to 2011 with no mobility award. In 2009 DLA care was increased to high rate with no mobility award as they said they couldn't consider Mobility as I was over 65
This award was for five years.
Couple of weeks ago had renewal arrive with indefinite high rate care and high mobility
Is the mobility award to show I can just claim free car tax?

As Gordon says, the mobility component of DLA cannot be awarded for the first time to someone who is over 65 (except under very specific circumstances). If you do not look into this now you run the risk of there being an overpayment which you could be expected to repay. You really do need to get face to face advice about this.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flower

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #158537 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA RENEWAL

Bob wrote: Well done Jackie on your PIP claim and it seems that it was dealt with very quickly for a change, did you have to have a face to face assessment with a HCP or was your claim awarded with a paper assessment only ?
many thanks
Bob

It was a DLA renewal as Jackie was over 65 in April 2013.

Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris