× Members

ESA contribution based and pension lump sum.

More
8 years 5 days ago #158522 by marina1
Hi, please could anyone offer some advice?
I am in receipt of contribution based ESA support group, and at present low payment dla, not changed yet to pip.
I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis on top of my long term problems which has had me on benefit for the past 15 years.
My problem is now that I have been advised that I can cash the whole of my small pension of 24K.
I am 52 years old, and my GP has signed a document to confirm I will not be in a position of working in the next 3 years at least to take me to the pension acceptance age of 55.
I own my home outright and have modest savings of approx 10k together with my husband who is working.
If I take the lump sum of 24k from my pension provider will this affect my ESA payments going forward?
I do understand if I drew a pension from it, I would be able to receive £85 per week without reduction, but as it is so small an amount, it would not generate enough as a pension, and if I could get the lump sum I could then get my bathroom made into a wet room and other alterations to make life easier for me in the future, but I do not want my ESA cutting as I have many years till my old age pension at 67 years old.
If someone could offer any advice I would be greatly obliged.
Many thanks , Emmpea. :

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 days ago #158530 by shelam
Hello Emmpea

I am sorry to be less than helpful about this, but I don't think we are in a position to help you with this fairly complicated sort of enquiry.

You would really be better asking a qualified financial adviser, who will be able to offer you reliable and sensible suggestions as to where to go next with your financial matters.

Sorry not to be of more help :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.