× Members

Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA

More
7 years 11 months ago #158797 by Rose1410
Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA was created by Rose1410
I have to go for a medical assessment after completing ESA50 and been on ESA contribution based support for a long time. I am confused as to how if I get transferred to WRAG instead of ESA support it is worked out. Does it get paid as support at a lesser amount for 365 days then becomes income based WRAG or is it income based from the start. I am asking as I get an occupational pension paid from my last employer many years ago every month and it has never been taken into account on ESA support even though I am 55yrs old and have declared it. Because of this I know I will not be entitled to any income based WRAG and wonder where I stand. Thank you for any advice received as I am totally confused.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158827 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA

Mother Goose wrote: I have to go for a medical assessment after completing ESA50 and been on ESA contribution based support for a long time. I am confused as to how if I get transferred to WRAG instead of ESA support it is worked out. Does it get paid as support at a lesser amount for 365 days then becomes income based WRAG or is it income based from the start. I am asking as I get an occupational pension paid from my last employer many years ago every month and it has never been taken into account on ESA support even though I am 55yrs old and have declared it. Because of this I know I will not be entitled to any income based WRAG and wonder where I stand. Thank you for any advice received as I am totally confused.

It will depend on whether you have spent any time in the WRAG before? If you haven't or you have spent less than 365 days in the WRAG then you will receive the ESA(CB) WRAG rate which is about £6/week less than the SG one.

Once you have spent a total of 365 days in the WRAG your ESA(CB) will cease, if you are eligible for ESA(IR) and you may need to chase the DWP on this, then your payments will continue as ESA(IR) ones, if you are not eligible for ESA(IR) then you technically remain eligible for ESA but will only receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension.

Any Decision to place you in the WRAG would be appealable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158859 by Rose1410
Replied by Rose1410 on topic Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA
Thank you. That is what I thought but the only thing is, is my occupational pension took into account on WRAG (contribution based) now or only after 365 days when it becomes income based. I've never been on WRAG before now.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158868 by brian mulhern
Replied by brian mulhern on topic Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA
Cant help on main question but I would look into fact that works pension does not affect your esa. I receive a works pension and am in support group and I lose about £9 a week based on pension.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158885 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transfer to WRAG from contributory ESA

Mother Goose wrote: Thank you. That is what I thought but the only thing is, is my occupational pension took into account on WRAG (contribution based) now or only after 365 days when it becomes income based. I've never been on WRAG before now.

Being in the WRAG or the SG has no effect on whether a pension is taken into account.

For ESA(CB) there is an £85/week disregard for pension income and then a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess.

For ESA(IR) the pension will be deducted £ for £.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.