× Members

ESA Query

More
7 years 11 months ago #158843 by Beechesgirl
ESA Query was created by Beechesgirl
I was transferred onto ESA from IB three years ago without the need for a medical. I was awarded ESA Main Phase Support Group Contribution-Based. I do receive a small pension from previous employment as well.

My query relates to whether I am now on contribution-based permanently or will this change? Things are very difficult financially - I cannot get free prescriptions so am paying for nine items per month. Housing Benefit insulted me by telling me I was allowed less than £5 per week in benefits and I don't qualify for Council Tax Benefit.

Health is not good and I am very immobile due to a whole range of health problems. I don't know whether to apply for PIP as DLA no longer exists. I feel so depressed and desperate I don't know what to do.

Any advice gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #158858 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Query
Hi Beechesgirl and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am sorry that things are so difficult for you just now :( Please get professional help if you are feeling desperate!

As you were on IB you were transferred to contributory ESA. You will remain on this for as long as you are in the Support Group. Then you would get 365 days in the WRAG, if you were ever moved to that, before being assessed for income-related benefit.

If your income and/or assets (plus that of any partner with whom you live as long as that partner does not work for 24 months or more)) is very low you might be qualified for an income-related top-up. Even 1p of this would mean that you qualify for free prescriptions etc. Ask DWP for an ESA3 form if you think you might be eligible. (although your pension would count in its entirety when you r finances are assessed). If you do not qualify, you might still be able to get help with prescription costs, speak to your pharmacy for an application form. Finally, if all else fails, you can buy a pre-payment certificate which saves money if you have more than 2-3 items per month.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Why don't you have a look at our PIP self-assessment, score yourself harshly and see whether you think you might be eligible? If you do, please feel free to come back with any further questions.

PIP help for claimants

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to re-read and also return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta. Reason: added link

More
7 years 11 months ago #158861 by Bertie1958
Replied by Bertie1958 on topic ESA Query
get nhs pre payment £10.40 MONTH SAVES DOSH

More
7 years 11 months ago #160029 by Beechesgirl
Replied by Beechesgirl on topic ESA Query
Thanks for the replies. I have discovered that I am entitled to an HC2, which means I no longer have to pay for prescriptions....so that is a huge bonus.

I did the PIP calculator and found that I was entitled to the enhanced daily living component and the standard mobility component so now need to get my application for this in....I believe you have to do a phone interview first and then wait for a form to be sent?

Thanks for the advice. I will update as and when.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.