× Members

Wheelchair or Walking - to PIP Medical Assessment?

More
7 years 11 months ago #159077 by Tiger1
Should I use a wheelchair or should I walk into my PIP medical Assessment at the DWP Centre ? - as I can only walk 5 meters without stopping to sit down and rest, though the centre has told me to walk into the centre is between 20 -40 meters.

I don't know what is best to do because I don't want the examiner to say that I have been able to walk the 40 meters, when I cannot do so with out stopping every 5 meters.

Help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #159090 by slugsta
Hi Okydoky and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I suggest that you should use your usual method to cover this distance. If you walk and have to stop for breath frequently you should make sure that you tell the assessor that (they would usually ask how you got to the appointment and you will probably be watched as you enter andleave the building).

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously then everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159110 by Tiger1
Thanks for your reply.

I usually use wheelchairs when I get out of car to go to hospital visits etc.

What i don't want to happen is for the assessor to say I can walk 40 m when I can only walk 5 m at one time and most importantly I can only stand for 40 seconds to 1 mon at any one time..

Which is why I thought I should use a wheelchair. ?

What would the assessor think and write down in their report if I arrived in a w.chair? would they ask to see me walk?

I don't know what is the best to do?

More
7 years 11 months ago #159123 by Gordon

okydoky wrote: Thanks for your reply.

I usually use wheelchairs when I get out of car to go to hospital visits etc.

What i don't want to happen is for the assessor to say I can walk 40 m when I can only walk 5 m at one time and most importantly I can only stand for 40 seconds to 1 mon at any one time..

Which is why I thought I should use a wheelchair. ?

What would the assessor think and write down in their report if I arrived in a w.chair? would they ask to see me walk?

I don't know what is the best to do?

PIP takes no account if your using a wheelchair, it will be your ability to walk reliably that will be looked at so it is possible that you will be asked to walk whether you are in a chair or not, although it's likely that more assumptions will be made if you walk into the appointment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiger1

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.