× Members

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration - GP's Input...

More
7 years 11 months ago #159115 by Debs
Probably a really silly question but I am one of the many going through a PIP Mandatory Reconsideration & will need a report/letter of support from my GP to help with this. My GP is happy to help, even though she is 'not supposed to' (not sure what that means!), given that she is astounded that my PIP has been taken away from me!

The Caseworker at the DWP suggested that she write only about the descriptors & not my diagnosis, as they are fully aware that I have the health conditions I have. I really don't know how to explain exactly what my GP needs to do for this report/letter of support, as there are so many 'descriptors' & don't want her to have to write a novel, as her time is limited. I would also have to sit with her to go through absolutely everything my life entails from morning until night on a daily basis & she won't have time for that!

Has anyone else has to ask their GP for this & how can I keep it simple but containing everything they need?

A bit of background information - I was awarded PIP 18 months ago after 4 years of battling to get it. I am also in receipt of ESA (Support Group). I have recently had a re-assessment of my award (form to complete & face-to-face assessment) & a lot of my original points were deducted & my award stopped. It actually doesn't make any sense to deduct points already awarded when my conditions are worse now & I can do even less!

I was actually 'retired on ill-health grounds' from the DWP on ATOS advice! Mind boggling I know!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #159131 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Mandatory Reconsideration - GP's Input...
Hi Debs and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I see your point, however we do usually recommend that you give your GP a basic list of the descriptors and let her say why she believes you would fulfill some of them. You do need to be careful that you cannot be accused of putting words into her mouth - DWP are entitled to ask to see anything you have given your GP in writing about this.

You should treat every reassessment in the same way as you did the first claim. It is unlikely that the assessor will have any prior knowledge of you or your prior claim/s. That is why it is possible for you to score fewer points this time, despite your condition having worsened.

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debs

More
7 years 11 months ago #159132 by Gordon
Debs

Welcome to the forum.

You'll only be re-awarded PIP by showing that you score sufficient points for an award, so your GP needs to explain why you should score those points.

Start by having a look at the Descriptors for each activity that you would hope to score points for, then speak to your GP about these, ideally you want them to lead to conversation about how you are affected, you can use the template for answering the PIP2 questions in the claim guide to give some structure to their responses.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debs

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.