× Members

PIP Reconsideration

More
7 years 11 months ago #160150 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Reconsideration

JeanieMac wrote: Thanks Gordon, I will try again, this is a struggle. I only ever drive a short distance to my friends and I understand what you say about pain changing gear but it's the same point I am trying make on preparing food in that I can use my hands to eat with a fork and spoon but cannot put pressure on to cut meat etc. I am incapable of writing because of the pain it causes but I can hold things like a beaker. The use of aids in the kitchen is not really an option such as cutting boards that hold items in place, I can't physically cut even bread without great difficulty and pain. I'm very confused because just telling the truth in that yes I can use my hands but I can't use my hands if I have to apply any pressure to the task. Surely there must be some way I can word this to make sense ?

These are the things to explain for your MR.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160335 by JeanieMac
Replied by JeanieMac on topic PIP Reconsideration
Good morning Gordon,

May I trouble you one last time for advice pls. Since my decision has been given for 10 yrs I have decided not to pursue enhanced mobility and hopefully at some future date we may get the 50 metre rule back.

I have given two reasons to change my decision from standard to enhanced which I believe to be credible. One of the problems I have though is that the HP stated in functional history that I showed a strong power and pinch grip against resistance which the DM uses in giving me 2 points for preparing food. I do not prepare or cook food for myself other than basic snacks but I am worried about telling the DM that he did not perform a power / grip test in case I have to go through the ordeal of another assessment. However The HP does state on another part of his report that I have poor manual dexterity, can I use this as a contradiction with saying he did not perform the test? I would welcome your comments please.
Daily Living

1. Preparing Food

I have been awarded 2 points. The HP has chosen Descriptor (1b) "Needs to use an aid or appliance to either prepare or cook a simple meal".

I believe I should have been awarded 8 points for this activity as I cannot prepare and cook a meal safely and reliably to an acceptable standard, or in a reasonable timeframe.

I have extremely painful arthritis in both hands, poor manual dexterity which the HP agreed with and has written this in the functional history on page 4 "Prepariing Food". I am unable to lift or move pans safely as I could easily drop them. I find it impossibe to stand for any length of time because of joint pain and I have degenerative cervical arthropathy of the spine which causes intense lower and upper back and neck pain . To carry out food preparation would also require me to hold my head forward for some amount of time which is extremely painful and difficult for me to do even for a short time (page 7 of the functional historyby the HP confirms my restricted movement). The activity would also cause my already constant neck pain to be even more severe.

My fibromyalgia together with my other illnesses and medications listed on the HP history means I have extreme fatigue and severe constant pain most days. I live alone and this has a knock on effect of low mood and lack of motivivation. I have a friend who visits when he can and cooks things for me to warm up in the microwave and sometimes stays to eat with me to make sure that I do actually eat. I also have a grandaughter who visits and cooks some weekends.

2. Nutrition

I have been awarded O points. The HP has chosen Descriptor (2a) "Can take nutrition unaided". I feel I should have been awarded 4 points under Descriptor (2d) "Needs prompting to take nutrition".

The DMs reasoning for their decision of 0 points states that the answer on my questionnaire conflicts with my answer to the HP on my Functional History.

The questionnaire asked me to consider things like being reminded or prompted etc.and I answered that "I eat irregularly due to tiredness from my conditions and lack of motivation. Also My son phones most days to check if I have eaten or encourage me to at least have a sandwich or snack because he knows that I am prone to low moods and forgetfulness and lack of motivation.

However, the HP did not ask if I needed help mentally to take nutrition as above. The question asked was "can you eat and drink without difficiulty, do you use adapted cutlery", I took this to mean physically as in getting food to my mouth to eat or drink and therefore replied that I don't have difficulties with eating and drinking or use adapted cutlery,

I would also add that poor manual dexteriity means I am unable and unsafe to use a knife to cut meat etc. but I do use a fork and spoon to eat.

Thanks for all your help Gordon.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160388 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Reconsideration
JeanieMac

Playing Devil's Advocate, these are matter that the DM is likely to use against you.

For preparing food.

You could use a Perching Stool or equivalent.

You do not need to lift pans, you can fill them on the hob and remove cooked food from them using a slotted spoon.

You are not required to perform the PIP activities without pain (they must take into account pain that restricts your ability to complete an activity).

You do not appear to be prompted to eat all meals.

You do not appear to receive assistance for every meal, how do you manage?

For taking nutrition

Seems a reasonable argument

Both

You provide some good arguments as to why the assessors opinions are incorrect but give no detailed reasons why you do meet the criteria, even if you did this adequately in the PIP2 you need to draw the DM's attention to this, I you think that your PIP2 content is incomplete then you need to fill in the gaps. The only way you will receive an award is by showing that you meet the criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.