× Members

Physiotherapists carrying out MH assessments

More
7 years 11 months ago #159802 by Derek4
Hi,

I'm appealing an ESA decision, partly on the grounds that a mental health assessment carried out by a physiotherapist has no probative value whatsoever. See the B&W news article below.

Judge rules Atos physio’s evidence of no value in mental health case (members only)

I'd just like to alert anybody else who may be appealing on these grounds, that the DWP's defense to this argument is JF v SSWP (IB) [2011] UKUT 385 (AAC)

Unfortunately, Judge Ovey of the upper tribunal thinks it's okay for people without appropriate qualifications to carry out medical assessments provided they have received the standard HCP training, but this decision does refer to registered nurses, as opposed to physiotherapists.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #159832 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Physiotherapists carrying out MH assessments
Hi Derek,

Yes, it has always been DWP's contention that every assessor, no matter what their professional discipline, has been fully trained by the assessment provider and can, therefore, make recommendations on all claims.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159851 by marieukxx
Replied by marieukxx on topic Physiotherapists carrying out MH assessments
I thinks it's wrong tbh. My assessement is at a Chiropractors!! What do they know about mental health? Yeah they may have done a training course on how to carry out an assessment but they have no understanding or knowledge of mental health issues. I already know I will be turned down now.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159856 by Gordon

Marie wrote: I thinks it's wrong tbh. My assessement is at a Chiropractors!! What do they know about mental health? Yeah they may have done a training course on how to carry out an assessment but they have no understanding or knowledge of mental health issues. I already know I will be turned down now.

The second UTT Decision you reference does not prevent you from arguing that the Physiotherapist was unable to carry out a proper examination of your mental health issues, it just warns Tribunal panels that their starting point cannot be that just because the assessor was a Physiotherapist that they were inherently unable to assess a claimant mental health issues.

You need to show where the Physio has failed to identify issues or has failed to apply proper weight to them where an assessor with suitable training would reasonably have been expected to have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #159863 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Physiotherapists carrying out MH assessments
My PIP assessment was held at a local 'therapy centre'. However, ATOS have simply rented rooms in this building, the assessments are not being carried out by the therapists but by a registered nurse employed by ATOS.

I think it unlikely that your assessment will be carried out by a chiropractor, even if the venue is a chiropractic clinic.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159925 by Derek4
By law, ESA assessments at least, have to be carried out by a registered doctor, registered nurse, registered physiotherapist, registered occupational therapist, or a registered plummer (only joking about the last one). The qualified occupation of the health [couldn't] care [less] professional will be on the medical report.

The upper tribunal decision that the DWP are relying on does state that tribunals have to consider, when assessing the reliability of a report:-

1. the level of the author's expertise
  2. the knowledge of the claimant possessed by the author
  3. the date of the evidence
  4. its comprehensiveness, and
  5. its relevance to the issues the tribunal has to determine
In the case of a physiotherapist carrying out a mental health assessment, I think the first item on the list is enough to argue that a tribunal cannot give the report much weight.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.