× Members

advise please

More
7 years 11 months ago #159875 by My63
advise please was created by My63
Hi Could any please advise. I do not understand the benefits system at all.
My son has a severe mental illness and has had it for 10 years after a recent episode it appears I need to stop working and be around for him, I have always been his main carer and we receive no help from anywhere he has dla at full care rate and lower mobility he has managed to get a 16 hour week job and claims tax credit we were unaware he could have stayed on incapacity and still worked.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, overactive thyroid, carpool tunnel and tennis elbow as well as stress and anxiety caused by his illness

could anyone advise what he can claim and I could claim and in which order please. We live in the same home and he has been ill since 18 and is now 30.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #159887 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic advise please
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

As your son is in receipt of the care element of DLA, you would be entitled to claim carers' allowance as long as you provide at least 35 hours care per week (as you have said that you are not now working we don't need to consider working hours or pay). This might enable you to also claim income support. However, if your son lost his DLA, for any reason, you would also lose your money.

If your son is unable to work because of his condition he might be entitled to claim ESA. You might also be entitled to this and also PIP (which is replacing DLA) in your own right if you are under state retirement age. You could not claim carers' allowance and ESA.

This is all quite complicated, I would strongly suggest that you get face 2 face advice somewhere like CAB to make sure that you understand all the ramifications before you start any claim. Meanwhile you could try putting various scenarios into a benefit calculator like Turn2us so that you have some idea of your options. There are other benefits (such as pension credit) that might come into the equation depending on your age etc.

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. This will allow you to come back with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. Please come back and let us know if you want to claim PIP, or either of you want to claim ESA, and we will do our best to help you.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.