× Members

ESA Advice

More
7 years 11 months ago #159939 by Rekrap
ESA Advice was created by Rekrap
Hi

My name is Chris, i am 42 and 3 years ago i had an accident at work and slipped on water leaking from my NHS Employers ceiling.

Following my accident my health has suffered drastically, i was dismissed from my 24 years of NHS Employment.

I am now taking: Gabapentin, Sertraline, Fentanyl Patches, Amitryptiline and Propanalol. I know walk with 2 elbow crutches as my GP told me i have Arthritis affecting my hands and suffer pins and needles in my hands and legs/feet. I am having trouble holding my bladder due to pain and not having the feeli g when i need to pass urine and also holding my bowels at times and not know i need to go until the last minute but then get severe constipation due to medication.

I am also being treated for severe Anxiety and Depression to top it all off.

I was found to have bulges in the sacks around my lower discs and now chronic back and nerve pain - anyway i was claiming ESA initially and that ran out and they were just paying my stamp.

I waited over 8 months for a medical and was surprised to be seen by a Physiotherapist, who seemed understanding etc.

To my astonishment i was told that i was fit for work even though my GP said i was not due to symptoms and medication side effects.

Anyway i appealed and then was unsuccessful.

In March of this year i reapplied due to my symptoms and deterioration with pins and needles and arthritis and now my knees are swollen and in considerable pain - my GP has referred me to a Pain Consultant at mt local Hospital.

I received a call from a ESA decision maker who went through my application and when i said about my bladder and boeels got the reply of 'well you can wear pads/carry spare underwear) I had a mobility assesment who came to my house and installed an additional hand rail and toilet frame - this person then said that she thinks i need another medical.

Anyway it has been 8 weeks nearly and i have not heard anything apart from a medical questionnaire which was completed and returned. I called ESA last week and was told to call the Medical offices who are dealing with this. I called them who said it is being processed and a decision would be made on whether i did need a medical or not, they said this can be upto 12 weeks!!

I called ESA back and informed them and was told they cannot do anythibg else at present until a decision made. I explained that i only get PIP and Industrial injury and am now struggling financially, the advisor said the only thing i could do was claim Job Seekers Allowance, but i cannot see how i can when i am signed off due to ill health and lost my job due to a risk assessment being undertaken and due to condition was unfit to work due to injuries and medication.

So i am now in a position where i do not know what else i can do as i cannot see a light at the end of a tunnel.

Has anyone else been in this situation or know anyone who is. Many thanks for taking time to read this but i am unsure what to do next.

Kind regards

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159982 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Advice
CP

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I'm afraid there is little that you can do but wait.

Are you receiving the ESA Assessment rate at the moment, if not then you may be able to apply for a Hardship payment. See

www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-...p-payment-jsa-or-esa

The DWP can prioritise your claim, but I doubt that you will meet the criteria for them doing this.

Another alternative is for you to contact Maximus again and tell them that you will accept a short notice appointment for an assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #160094 by Rekrap
Replied by Rekrap on topic ESA Advice
Thank you both.

Gordon - no at present they are just paying my stamp, but i cannot understand how they keep people hanging like this.

I have contacted Maximus again but they still say the same.

I am going to call ESA again now and see what they say about the hardship payment.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.