× Members

PIP Appeals

More
8 years 1 month ago #154632 by Ediemay52
PIP Appeals was created by Ediemay52
I have had Arthritis for about 15 yrs. For about 12yrs I just got by on Ibruprofen for pain relief.
4 yrs ago the Arthritis became a lot worse, my hands very swollen , weaker, very painful
Both my knees were xrayed as severe, right ankle very poor condition. Alison have arthritis in shoulders, right elbow and just recently been told it is in my spine and right hip. As with other Arthritis sufferers I had ok and bad days.
About the same time I downsized my home to two bed flat as stairs very difficult. I retired from my work, took a part time job in Library.
As I had moved 60 miles to be near my family, had yo change Doctors.
In four years my GP has changed four times, one retired, one left due to pressure of work, the last one walked out at a weeks notice. Yet to meet the new one. I have only seen the same GP twice, it took them a year to X-ray my joints and refer me to a Consultant. I saw him he agreed that I need replacement knees, ankle and hip on its way out.
He told me to come back and see him three months later, and get fitter in in the mean time.
The next appointment was cancelled, the next I turned up at hospital to be told that had been cancelled as well. I would receive another in post. Four months later I received a letter stating that as I had failed to make my appointment I had been removed fromm the Consultants list and if I wished to have treatment in the future I needed to see GP to start process again. I was so angry and upset as this was now a year since I had first seen him. I had my Sons wedding coming up so couldn't start again as didn't want to be having op just before the wedding.
Meanwhile I saw a different GP who took blood tests,as he though I may have Rheumatoid Arthritis, the tests were inconclusive. She said on phone I would need to see a Rhuematologist. I waited over 7 months no appointment. By now I had applied for Pip as my mobility and condition had deteriorated. My application was turned down, I applied again and was sent to Atos. Afterwards I was awarded Pip at standard level , for living component, denied any mobility, through as they say lack of evidence from medical.
It was after I complained to hospital about no appointment I received one in January , for the end of that month.
Saw the Consultant who says unlikely Rhuematoid but I did need urgent replacement surgery, told me to see her again in three months and gave me preccription for morphine patches to help with pain control.
I have again applied for PIP stating that in law and extenuating reasons you can claim within a year.
I am waiting now to see what PIP have to say I sent all letters from Consultants, as evidence. Has any one else experienced similar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154650 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Appeals
Ediemay

Members are free to comment.

Did you have a question?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #159952 by Ediemay52
Replied by Ediemay52 on topic PIP Appeals
Hoping you can give me some advice. I was awarded about a year ago, standard living allowance following an Atos interview, however I was turned down for any mobility.
They stated lack of evidence. I have moved house four years ago and have been having my Arthritis controlled by drugs for past ten years. IMy walking due to having diagnosed severe arthritis in both knees, right ankle, right hip and one arthritis in my spine, has become very poor. I was three years ago referred to Orthopeadic surgeon who said he would see me in three months after initial appointment to get my legs fitter. The appointment was cancelled as was the next yet I did not know until I arrived at the hospital. I was told I would receive another. Instead about five months later I got a letter saying as I had failed to attend appointment I had been removed from Consultants list. If I was still interested in Surgery I would need to SE GP to start process again.
I was very depressed following this as I had assumed I would have been getting new knees.
My GP then referred me to a Rhuematologist, to sort my RA. It took over six months for an appointment to come through, then a month to see her. She adjusted my medication and put me on morphine patches.
I sent all of the letters to DWP asking them to reconsider my application. They said they had never received this letter, sent by recorded delivery. They then sent form saying my condition had changed.
I returned this over a month ago. Have heard nothing from them, I sent that recorded delivery as well.
How long should I wait before getting in touch with them. It has now taken about 18 months to get this far.
Thanke

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #159984 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Appeals
Hi, I have merged your post with the previous one relating to your PIP claim. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place (especially when it is a complicated situation like yours) - and I hope you will find it useful too. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now :)

It appears, from what you have said, that you have asked for your claim to be reassessed, rather than actually going to appeal. If this is the case, you will still have MR and appeal open to you if the decision does not go in your favour.

'Ordinary' PIP decisions are taking around 8 weeks after a face2face assessment has been carried out. I would expect yours to take around the same amount of time. There is nothing to stop you from contacting DWP to ask what is happening if you wish to do so.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.