× Members

PIP home assessment

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156306 by debslosjoe
PIP home assessment was created by debslosjoe
I am new to claiming benefits. I have osteo arthritis in knees, severe ongoing anxiety and panic and degenerative disc disease and 3 slipped discs that are causing agonising nerve pain and numbness in my legs. Had to pay for a private MRI to find out what it was even though I've been going to the doctors for 3 years with back pain. My works are going to make me redundant as I am on sick now. Could I get PIPs or any other benefits for these conditions? I really need help and advise from anyone as I don't know where to start with all this and it seems so overwhelming to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156318 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP home assessment

Debbie16 wrote: I am new to claiming benefits. I have osteo arthritis in knees, severe ongoing anxiety and panic and degenerative disc disease and 3 slipped discs that are causing agonising nerve pain and numbness in my legs. Had to pay for a private MRI to find out what it was even though I've been going to the doctors for 3 years with back pain. My works are going to make me redundant as I am on sick now. Could I get PIPs or any other benefits for these conditions? I really need help and advise from anyone as I don't know where to start with all this and it seems so overwhelming to me.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are unfit for work then you may be able to claim ESA and if your conditions impact on your daily activities you mat be able to claim PIP,

Have a look at our claim guides for both benefits on the following links.

ESA
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

PIP
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have more questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156374 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP home assessment
To add to Gordon's excellent advice - it is possible, and perfectly proper, to claim both ESA and PIP, you do not have to choose between them if you feel you qualify for both.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #160002 by debslosjoe
Replied by debslosjoe on topic PIP home assessment
I have got my PIP medical next week. I suffer from Agrophobia and they have agreed to come to my home. I am terrified about what to expect. I did a thorough application form showing all of my health conditions one of which is paralysed nerves in my legs and waiting for an accurate diagnosis of a muscle wasting disease which means it's impossible for me to stand up and walk for more than a few min ties d effort thnumbness starts going up my legs. Also get numbness in hands. Will I have to do the physical part? What should I expect? I'm getting into a state about is. Any advice is appreciated.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #160003 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP home assessment
Hi Debbie,

I have merged your query with the previous one relating to your PIP claim. It helps us enormously when everything dealing with the same claim is kept in one topic - and I hope you will find it useful too. You might want to favourite/bookmark this on your web browser now so that you find it easily in future :)

I'm sorry you are so stressed about this :(

There is a section in our PIP guide that tells you what to expect at the assessment. It will not be like any 'medical' you have ever been to and there should not be a lot of physical activity. You are perfectly entitled to refuse to do anything that would cause you pain - but you need to be very clear about the reason for refusal (and, even then it might still be reported just as 'refused').

PIP help for claimants

It is up to you to decide which room of your home you want the assessment to be carried out in. The assessor does not have the right to look anywhere else in your home - and we have not heard of them asking to do so. However, you might want to show him/her any aids or adaptations that you have.

It us also up to you to decide who you want to be with you throughout the assessment/

You should be aware that the assessor might turn up on time, early, late - or even not turn up at al! :angry:

Please come back and tell us how you get on :)

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.