× Members

medical condition with significant fluctuations

More
7 years 11 months ago #160306 by Prudent
I apologise if this has been covered, I am new to this site and still trying to navigate my way around.

I am in the process of claiming for both ESA and PIP. I have found the pip form much more tricky to fill in because my care needs fluctuate hugely. I am lucky enough to have a partner who can look after me full time. At my best points I need no extra assistance beyond him driving me places and assisting with grocery shopping At my worst points he does all the housework and food preparation, ensures I take medication, provides essential supervision and sometimes can rarely leaves me alone at all. He helps me with bathing and helps me with dressing. He also comes into appointments to give input about my condition and still drives me everywhere. I have a condition which relapses and has got steadily worse over the past four years. There is no fixed patterns to the relapses. We monitor the signs and use as many interventions as possible in the lead up. My last serious relapse began in December and the acute phase lasted 8 weeks. I had improved a lot by mid March, but am in the early stages of relapse again.

Do I list the dates and duration of these relapses or will I then be refused PIP as I have better periods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160361 by Gordon
Prudent

You need to look at the sections in the guide that cover the use of the phrases "reliably" and "for the majority of days", the latter can be considered over a period as long as a year.

You need to show that you cannot reliably perform an activity on the majority of days.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.