× Members

Esa mobility

More
7 years 10 months ago #160468 by Pogster
Esa mobility was created by Pogster
Can you get sea on mobility grounds if your mobility is reduced to 20 metres and walk with an aid on your own. If so how do I word this on the esa50 form?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160485 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa mobility

Pogster wrote: Can you get sea on mobility grounds if your mobility is reduced to 20 metres and walk with an aid on your own. If so how do I word this on the esa50 form?

Strictly speaking no!

ESA is not a walking test, it is a mobility test that in addition to looking at your ability to walk, also considers whether you could self-propel a manual wheelchair over the same distances, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or to even own one for one to be considered.

So, in addition to showing limitation in your walking you must also show that you cannot self-propel the wheelchair.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #160525 by Pogster
Replied by Pogster on topic Esa mobility
What about if walking causes pain.
I'm confused as the guide talks about Assistance from another person when walking.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160540 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa mobility

Pogster wrote: What about if walking causes pain.
I'm confused as the guide talks about Assistance from another person when walking.

If the walking causes you significant discomfort or worse then you should only be considered as walking up to the point where the significant discomfort affects you, however, even if you could not walk at all, if you can self-propel a manual wheelchair more than 200m without significant discomfort or exhaustion then you will not score any points for this ESA activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.