× Members

State Pension & ESA

More
7 years 10 months ago #160469 by Bill
State Pension & ESA was created by Bill
Hello Mods,

Can you tell me what will happen (payments wise) to my wife when I reach 65 regarding benefits please?

Currently I get the ESA Support Group payment and in there I get some sort of money for my wife. She is my full time carer and gets paid accordingly with carers’ allowance which is of course part of PIP. She does not work elsewhere.

So, when I get paid my State Pension my ESA will stop, and the payment I am currently getting for my wife will no longer be paid to me.

What I don't understand is, do I get paid a single persons State Pension (as my wife is below State Pension age) or a married couples, do you guys know?

I thought I would ask you guys as I trust what you say and don’t trust anyone else to ask.

Thanks, as always.
Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160490 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic State Pension & ESA
Bill

I'm afraid we cannot give detailed financial advice on the forum, you really need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor.

Have you checked that your State Retirement Age is 65?

When you reach SRA your ESA will stop.

As far as I am aware (happy to be corrected), pensions are paid to the individual.

You have multiple options, if you qualify for ESA(IR) now then you may qualify for Pension Credit, alternatively your wife might be able to claim Income Support as Carer, in both cases the limiting factor may be your pension and her Carers Allowance which will be treated as income.

The online calculators may be able to tell you the best option, failing that you will need to get advice.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

More
7 years 10 months ago #160566 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic State Pension & ESA
Understood Gordon,

As always, many thanks for your time and the info given here.

Take care.
Bill

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.