× Members

Esa or pension credit

More
7 years 10 months ago #160588 by Caroline
Esa or pension credit was created by Caroline
Hello,
My husband is claiming esa and is in the assesement period. On the 6 July he will go on to a higher rate because of his age. He was 63 on the 19/14/16. I am on his claim for esa and have liver disease and I am unable to work, and I am 55 years old. Is it better to claim pension credit or better to stay on Esa? Also will the new rule about a couple with one under pension credit age having to claim UC effect us in the future?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160596 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa or pension credit

Caroline wrote: Hello,
My husband is claiming esa and is in the assesement period. On the 6 July he will go on to a higher rate because of his age. He was 63 on the 19/14/16. I am on his claim for esa and have liver disease and I am unable to work, and I am 55 years old. Is it better to claim pension credit or better to stay on Esa? Also will the new rule about a couple with one under pension credit age having to claim UC effect us in the future?
Thanks

Forgive me, I'm not sure why you think that your husband's ESA will increase because of his age.

He should be able to claim Pension Credit on or after 6 July, whether it is better for you or not will depend on your personal circumstances, so we can't make a recommendation on the forum.

Whether you will be affected by the rule that both of you have to be of pensionable age will depend on where you are in the country and whether UC has been implemented and to what to degree. If PC claim made and accepted then it won't be directly affected by the new rule even when UC is implemented.

I would recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor who can calculate what you would receive on PC or if you remain on ESA.

Failing that out your details into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #160604 by Caroline
Replied by Caroline on topic Esa or pension credit
I got a letter from dwp saying exacrly that. Because of his age we would go onto that rate. There is no mention that it is pension credit. They say it will increase to 237.55 a week and he may still need to go to work place interviews.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160610 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa or pension credit

Caroline wrote: I got a letter from dwp saying exacrly that. Because of his age we would go onto that rate. There is no mention that it is pension credit. They say it will increase to 237.55 a week and he may still need to go to work place interviews.

There is an ESA Pensioner Premium, assuming this is what they are referring to then you would be the first persons I have heard of it being paid to.

My advice to get face to face advice stands.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.