× Members

Returning to full time work from ESA Support Group

More
7 years 10 months ago #160663 by Sunflower
My 'story' is a tad long so I'm going to condense it so as everyone is up to speed prior to my current dillema.

10 years ago diagnosed with multiple genetic sysdromes etc they cause chronic pain, long term health problems bug not a disability.

3 years ago (ish) fluid on the brain (long old story) took over a year to recover, was homeless, housebound and in a wheelchair.

18 months ago I talked the nhs into knees braces (bye bye wheelchair) an started trying to relearn how to cope in the body of mine, I am disabled now but a life using morphine and tramadol is not one I want at 25 years old.

I started voluntary work in my previous area (16hrs a week) 4 hrs / 4 x a week. (Permitted work)

After a few months started searching for a job locally but it needed to be full time hours 37.5 as I now have a one bedroom flat.

Applied, interviews and was offered the first job very close to home, single level (no stairs etc)

There was a issue unrelated to me which delayed my start date by an additional 6 weeks (recruitment process in whole 4.5 months) I am awaiting a call today about my start date potentially being this weekend!!!

ESA returning to work ISSUE!
I called ESA and made enquires they where very unhelpful.

Alot of the information online is very outdated.

I requested meetings at the job center which were pointless I knew more from my research then they did.

I visited the council and asked about the rates for rent and council tax etc transitioning off of housing benefit and council tax support.

I have essentially been told that when I start my job I phone the ESA line and they with immediate effect will cancel my claim from that point.

From what I understand the housing benefit peopel should give me 4 weeks grace.

The council tax will be reassessed and increased from the next month.

Is the infomation I have concluded correct.

I'm very worried about money during this transition stage.

As should I start this weekend I might not be paid this month, and if I was it wouldn't be a full months pay.

I also have PIP which naturally will be reassessed as returning to work will trigger and enquiry.

Your thoughts and advice are all welcome.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160672 by Gordon
Sunflower

Forgive me for being picky, but the DWP will be, you cannot do 16 hours of Permitted Work under ESA, the requirement is that you do less than 16 hours, it only needs to be one minute less, but it is an important minute.

So if you start working for 16 hours or more then you must notify the DWP and close your claim. In case you are not aware, if your return to work fails, then providing you do so within 12 weeks of ending your claim you can make a rapid reclaim for ESA and should be put back onto your current rate.

I'm afraid we do not deal with HB or Council Tax, but you should inform them immediately you start work.

You do not need to inform PIP that you are starting work but it may be to your disadvantage if you do not and they decide that your working is at odds with the reasons you are receiving PIP. If you do inform them then I would expect your claim to be reassessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #160685 by Rh
Hi sunflower,

I am in the ESA support group after leaving my job last year . If I were you I would think long and hard before starting work . Unless the job is going to be fantastically paid you will not be better off as you may end up having to pay full rent and council tax. Check on a benefits calculator , as if you input the figures it works out what rent and council tax you will need to pay.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.