× Members

Confused about which benefit to claim for 17yr old

More
7 years 10 months ago #160958 by claire16
Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone could advise me (or point me in the right direction) of any benefits my 17yr old daughter could claim.

{ Brief History - She has been diagnosed with CFS, Hypermobility syndrome, Autonomic dysfunction, POTS and Narcolepsy. It has taken since 2011 to get to this point, as a lot of you will relate to.
She has missed 2 years of school and been put back a year but has managed her exams this year with limited attendance thanks to a brilliant provision at Newcastle college (but that's another story). }

She has now officially completed her ''Secondary education'' (as a 16 yr old normally would) and is now supposed to go on to further education or training until she is 18.

The problem we now face is due to her health problems, her Consultant has stated she is unlikely manage the hours required to do the above, and has advised her to apply for PIP and has written a very good supporting letter.
However, been a determined teenager she doesn't want to ''do nothing'' and like a lot of people in her situation she does have better days providing she has help and support.
She has now gone and got herself a job 12 hours a week split into 3 shifts across the week. She always has at least one day off in between so can rest etc. This job has good prospects and is light duties at present and according to my daughter she ''WILL'' get better, even though her consultant says, at best her condition will be manageable with help and support.
Even though we are proud of her for been motivated and determined she is only going to be able to keep this job if I continue to help her with her basic needs and transport to prevent a relapse.

Therefore my question is :- Given her age, hours of work and health issues is she able to claim any benefits. My worry is it is likely if she manages to keep this job 12 hours is probably all she can manage.
I have up read on most benefits but it seems refer to over 18's and very much ''you can either work or you can't''.
If she continues to work limited hours due to her health without any financial help, she will have no quality or life, and she doesn't want to solely claim benefits as feels she will become isolated and depressed and this will add to her problems.

Sorry for the lengthy post but after much research I thought this would be the best place to turn.

Claire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160964 by shelam
Hello Claire

First of all, your full name is showing at the top of your post - if you would like to stop this, please go to

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

It would seem that your daughter could apply for PIP; go to

How do I get (claim) personal independence payment (PIP)?

Read through the guides and see where and how your daughter's condition applies to the various descriptors, and see whether your various medical reports etc will support any claim you might choose to make.

You will find all the help you need to fill in the application form from the guides, but if you feel you need any other help please get back to us and we will try to provide any information you might need.

Your daughter sounds to be a very brave and determined young lady. Good for her!! We wish you well with the application process. :)

More
7 years 10 months ago #161072 by claire16
Thank you Shelam,
Having read through the guides recommended it is very much a case of if she did complete some of the tasks she'd be so worn out and unwell in the following days she wouldn't be able to do anything else, and if she didn't get help with other things she wouldn't be able to work the few hours she does. As mentioned, working is so important to her, what I didn't mention is that due to her lack of attendance at school, she sadly lost the friends she did have so just by going to work she has a social life, so this job really is the be all and end all for her.
When filling out the form (obviously I will be helping her) do we make this as clear as possible ? and do they really take this into consideration ? The impression I get from the reading I've done is most people have to fight tooth and nail to get PIP because they are unable to work and jump through hoops to prove this (not literally). Even though PIP is intended to help those in need live an 'independant' life. My worry is that the DWP take the stand that because she works at all she doesn't need PIP. Even though, from a medical point of view, if she didn't work she would still need help (if that makes sense).
For example, Could they argue that by working, her need is greater therefore if she didn't work she wouldn't need as much help they could pay a lower rate.
The form seems very much designed to find out what applicants can't do at all (which I appreciate they need to know) rather than how would their life be improved if they were awarded PIP.
Sorry to be a pest

Thanks again
Claire

More
7 years 10 months ago #161102 by Gordon
Claire

PIP is not an "out of work" benefit, many claimants receiving PIP also work, some full time, her "needs" will not be considered to have increased just because she is working.

Whether it has an impact on her claim will depend on her conditions and how they affect her ability to complete the PIP activities, as a silly example; if she states that she has problems with Going Out, then her working may be considered to be at odds with this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: claire16

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.