× Members

Contribution based esa

More
7 years 10 months ago #161133 by Jayne50
Contribution based esa was created by Jayne50
I currently receive contribution based esa, being in the support group means I will connect to receive it beyond the usual 1 year period.
My query is, if I now claim for my husband who has recently lost his job, will I have to re claim and lose the contribution based benefit and be switched to income based esa?
If I'm switched over I would lose my esa if my partner goes back to work.
In case it's relevant I'm also in receipt of PIP for both catagories at the enhanced rate and my partner is now claiming carers alowance for me.
Thank you to anyone who may be able to help as I don't want to make a huge error.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161152 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Contribution based esa
HI and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Contributory benefit is always paid, if the claimant is entitled, rather than income-related benefits. If your husband has enough NI contributions in his own right he will be able to claim JSA for six months and this will run alongside your ESA.

If your husband is not entitled to contributory ESA, you will have to make a joint income-related claim. You will still keep your entitlement to the contributory benefit.

It might be helpful to have a look at a site such as 'turn2us' that will tell you whether there is anything else that you could claim.

turn2us

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.