× Members

ESA assessment: what can I do to help me?

More
7 years 10 months ago #162198 by TiredMK
The last time I had an assessment I had to go to tribunal to have the decision overturned so I could be put in the support group. I have M.E. and am housebound most of the time. Recently I filled in an ESA50 and today I received the dreaded letter telling me I have an assessment in just over two weeks.

I have read your guides but there is nothing very specific about how to increase your chances of success at a face to face assessment. What specifically can I ask my GP for in terms of medical evidence? I hardly ever go to the doctor because I'm too sick most of the time and so there's not much in my records.

I have barely any recent documentation, and none of it proves some of the things I had to write in my ESA50 such as my walking capability for example. How can I prove that I can't walk even short distances repeatedly? It's just my word against theirs.

Is there anything I can do in the next two weeks to prevent being the victim of a lying assessor again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #162202 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA assessment: what can I do to help me?
TiredMK

I have ME/CFS myself so I appreciate the difficulty in acquiring solid medical evidence.

I would start by talking to your GP, if Maximus have not contacted them by now then it's unlikely that they will. My GP was willing to comment on my walking distances as he could observe me at their surgery, remember ESA is a mobilising test and also includes your ability to propel a manual wheelchair.

I would include something about Post Exertional Malaise, it is a distinguishing symptom from Chronic Fatigue and is poorly understood especially in the way that your fatigue can be separated from the activity by hours or even days.

If you have explained your problems completing the ESA activities in a detailed and consistent way then you have done what you can, the only other thing is to familiarise yourself with the questions you may be asked and think about how you would reply to them. See the ESA Claim guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SusanH

More
7 years 10 months ago #162390 by toulane55
Replied by toulane55 on topic ESA assessment: what can I do to help me?
Hi, I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, my assessment was booked for next week but they have postponed for some reason, but it is do very difficult to explain an invisible illness, especially one that can vary so much from day to day, it's so hard
Linda

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.