× Members

part time work and housing benefit

More
7 years 9 months ago #162612 by starry-eyed
part time work and housing benefit was created by starry-eyed
Hi, I have OCD and after receiving lots of help now think I might be able to work a few hours a week, maybe 10 max. This would be enough to live on but could I still get my housing benefit and countil tax reduction as I did when I was in receipt of ESA? I have been googling for an answer but to no avail.
Anyone else in a similar situation or who knows more about working very few hours a week out there? Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #162629 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic part time work and housing benefit
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Do you have a 'live' ESA claim at the moment? If so, depending on how much you will earn, you might not have to close your ESA. It might be that you can do 'permitted work' to see how you get on.

Permitted Work

Again, I think it will depend on how much you earn as to whether you can still claim HB. You can certainly make a claim on the grounds of low income without being in receipt of any other benefit. We do not deal with HB so you will need to contact your local council.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 9 months ago #162658 by starry-eyed
Replied by starry-eyed on topic part time work and housing benefit
Thanks for your reply. I will check the FAQ. Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.
I was told last week I'd failed my ESA assessment and then had an interview at the job centre to be moved onto JSA. The 20 hours a week my job advisor has set out for me is just too much. If I could do half that amount and not miss out on housing benefit it would be just about doable.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #162675 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic part time work and housing benefit
Hi Starry-eyed,

No, you have not posted in the wrong place at all! Thanks for the clarification. You will need to contact your local housing authority for advice about your HB.

Are you going to appeal against the ESA decision?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 9 months ago #162869 by starry-eyed
Replied by starry-eyed on topic part time work and housing benefit
I will be appealing. The guides here have been a tremendous help in that regard. But I'm also trying to prepare for getting by if my appeal is not successful. I'll see what my local office have to say as you suggested. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.