× Members

Permitted Work - How to explain limitations?

More
7 years 10 months ago #162613 by JediCP
Hi,

I have been thinking about undertaking some permitted work. The higher limited of £104 per week. I am on Conts Based ESA in the Support Group. £7.20 NLW applies to me.

Now I am aware the work has to be LESS than 16 hours per week and pay no more than £104 per week (the limit has probably increased since I last looked).

I have seen the term 'average' mentioned a bit in the documentation on line. Does this mean I can not work 15 hours per week every week, or do I have to have some form of a gap at some point?

I have found some part time roles in the NHS, they have said they would consider reducing the hours, and shift patterns. How should I explain the fact that I have limitations on how much I can earn and the amount of hours? What about holiday pay? What about HMRC and tax?

I do not have any other income apart from DLA and the £110 ESA SG payment.

I am going to try and ask them to drop the pay band on one of the roles to make it more fitting for them to offer me a reduced hours job, as 15x Band 4 takes me above the £104 limit, I am not too sure if they could do this though.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #162633 by Gordon
JediCP

The DWP can average earnings and hours but only by prior agreement, however, you do need to be aware that the 16 hours and £115.50 after tax and national insurance deductions, are absolute limits if you are considered to have exceeded them then your ESA claim will be closed.

It sounds like you need to speak to your potential employer first to see whether they can accommodate you in the first place and then you need to contact the DWP.

There's a guide to PW in the ESA section.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris