× Members

PIP face to face assessment and mental illness

More
7 years 9 months ago #162616 by Prudent
I have a fluctuating mental illness and have just received a date of 15/7 for my face to face assessment. I am quite anxious about the assessment as my illness fluctuates considerably and is unpredictable. At worst I am unable to have a coherent conversation and may respond with answers that bear no relation to the question or simply be unable to process the question. At best I can explain my illness clearly and fully. I explained this on my esa 50 form. I am taking my partner (who is also my carer), but he lacks confidence when he communicates and may only give partial information. I have no-one else available to support me. I have asked my partner just to take notes and try to check I am understanding the questions.

I know there is a wealth of experience on here and am wondering if anyone can give me any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #162634 by slugsta
Hi Prudent and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm sorry that you are finding this so stressful :(

Our PIP guide explains what to expect at the assessment. It might be worth preparing some notes in response to the questions you expect them to ask (including one explaining your difficulty communicating). You can give the first note to the assessor before s/he starts the interview and use the others either to remind yourself what to say or, again, to hand to the assessor if you are unable to speak coherently.

PIP help for claimants

While we all hear horror stories about claimants who have been treated badly at these appointments, the majority are carried out in a professional manner. It's just human nature to shout louder when things are wrong than when we are satisfied, which is why sites like this hear more of the horror stories!

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your PIP without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

More
7 years 9 months ago #162667 by Prudent
Thank you. I made a sheet of notes in preparation for completing the form. I will print of this sheet and clearly highlight the communication issues. My big concern is that I will be considered unco-operative with the assessment.

More
7 years 9 months ago #162682 by slugsta
I can understand your concern Prudent! That's why I suggested that you hand the assessor a note before they start. This should clearly explain your communication issues and that you are trying to co-operate as much as possible. Keep a copy for your own records.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.