× Members

Less than £16000 in equity - can I claim ESA...?

More
7 years 10 months ago #160761 by M11GEGSAFC
Hi
I have been in receipt of ESA (IR) since 2014 and I am in the Support Group due to my disability.

When I put my claim in I told the DWP that my husband and my brother in law had a half share in a house that we do not live in that was left to them in their late Mother's Will.
I explained that when my late Mother in Law purchased the property in 2010 there was a clause that said if the property was sold prior to June 2015 any discount that had been applied towards the sale price would have to be paid back.

The property has been rented out since 2014 which the DWP were also informed about and was given proof as to how much rent we received.

I have now received a letter saying that the DWP have made a mistake as I should not have been receiving my ESA payments since July 2015 because of the property.

The house was paid for outright so there has never been any mortgage on the property.

I am very worried now that the DWP will expect me to repay all the money I have been paid since last July.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

M11GEGSAFC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160789 by slugsta
Hi M,

This does sound to be a complicated issue. Do you have anything in writing from DWP referring to your phone calls? I know DWP do record calls but I don't know how long they hold them for, it might be worth submitting a subject access request to see if still exist.

You really need to get face2face advice about this. Try your local CAB or do an internet search for 'welfare advice' plus your postcode.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerrygold50, M11GEGSAFC

More
7 years 10 months ago #161377 by M11GEGSAFC
Replied by M11GEGSAFC on topic Less than £16000 in equity - can I claim ESA...?
Hi Mrs Hurtyback

Thank you for your message back to me.
I took all the information that was needed down to the Council Offices when I put my original claim for ESA in.

I have been to the CAB today and basically they are saying that there is not much point in questioning why I was getting the ESA up until June this year or why it has been stopped.

Would you agree to this and leave well alone incase I stir up a hornets nest with the fact I should not have been getting it since last July 2015...?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

M

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161383 by Gordon
M11GEGSAFC

Are you happy that you understand why your ESA should have been stopped, your initial post does not suggest this?

I agree that fighting a battle that you cannot win is a waste of your time, but there appear to be issues of what the DWP have been informed of and when which might have a material effect on what you have to repay, which you do not appear to have the answers to at this time.

Without making any suggestion as to which of the following is the right outcome, there is not enough information for us to do so, there appear to be a number of possible outcomes;

- The amount is payable, the DWP may also levy a fine for failing to properly notify the DWP.
- An amount is payable, this may depend on the information supplied to the DWP and when
- The amount is not recoverable, either the DWP accept official error as you notified them on time or their calculations on the overpayment are incorrect

Don't assume that the DWP's calculations are correct, you should ask for a detailed breakdown of how they have arrived at their Decision.

Without knowing the terms and conditions of your husband's half share I cannot state the following for certain, but I would not have expected the capital from an asset which cannot be disposed of to count against your ESA.

I need to stress that we are limited in the advice we can give on this situation as it requires access to the papers involved which we cannot do on the forum, the above are areas that you should consider looking at.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 9 months ago #162820 by M11GEGSAFC
Replied by M11GEGSAFC on topic Less than £16000 in equity - can I claim ESA...?
Hi everyone

I have posted on here previously and my question today is sort of connected to those previous questions....

My husband is selling his half share of a property that he inherited in 2012 from his late Mother. He is selling it to his brother and all the money we get paid will be used to pay off debts. I am aware that you have to fully prove where the money you receive has gone to or you can be classed as intentionally making yourself financially deprived.

He also owns a property abroad that is mortgaged and is currently being rented out. It too is up for sale and has been for some years.

The outstanding mortgage and the Fiscal value of the property is less than £16000 so would we be entitled to claim ESA...?

I have received a letter today from the Council Tax Office saying they have stopped my claim as from July 2015 so I am now very worried that they will want me to pay back all the money from July 2015 even though the mess up was due to the DWP.

As I have said before for some reason DWP have decided that I should not have been getting ESA from July 2015 but I am not sure why.

I am so confused right now and worried sick that I am going to owe thousands of pounds for something that was not my doing....please help me.

Many thanks in advance

M11GEGSAFC (Anita)

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #162837 by slugsta
Hi Anita,

I have merged your query with the previous topic relating to this subject. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - especially when, as in this case, it is quite a complicated matter.

If your joint assets are less than £16000 you will still be able to claim income-related ESA although the amount will be reduced pro-rata for every £250 over £6000. Any amount that you spend should be considered 'reasonable' by the decision maker. It would be worth writing to DWP, outlining how you intend to spend the money and asking if that would be OK. Then you will have something in writing that you can show in future, if necessary.

Are DWP also aware of the property abroad that your husband owns? If not, you must notify them about this as soon as possible.

I'm afraid we don't deal with HB. I suggest you try to get some face to face advice about this.

Please reply to this message if you have further questions or comments on this issue. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Gordon. Reason: corrected amount

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.