× Members

DLA to PIP migration call (PIP1 stage) - consent Q

More
7 years 10 months ago #162860 by jarkwoman
I made the phone call earlier this week to start the migration of my DLA to PIP.

I was asked the 'consent' question about whether I gave the DWP permission to contact any of my health providers, now or in the future, for PIP or any other benefit. When I asked what happened if I said 'no' - i.e. that I would get the information from my health professionals and pass it on to DWP myself - I was told that my claim for PIP would be terminated there and then. So I had to say yes.

I've just mentioned this to someone else who made the same phone call on behalf of someone else (albeit in a different part of England) 2 weeks ago. They successfully responded 'no' to this question and were allowed to continue with their PIP application.

Was I given incorrect information? And if so, is there any way I can get this permission revoked? So that I retain some control over what they know about me, and from whom)?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #162881 by Gordon

Donna wrote: I made the phone call earlier this week to start the migration of my DLA to PIP.

I was asked the 'consent' question about whether I gave the DWP permission to contact any of my health providers, now or in the future, for PIP or any other benefit. When I asked what happened if I said 'no' - i.e. that I would get the information from my health professionals and pass it on to DWP myself - I was told that my claim for PIP would be terminated there and then. So I had to say yes.

I've just mentioned this to someone else who made the same phone call on behalf of someone else (albeit in a different part of England) 2 weeks ago. They successfully responded 'no' to this question and were allowed to continue with their PIP application.

Was I given incorrect information? And if so, is there any way I can get this permission revoked? So that I retain some control over what they know about me, and from whom)?

Many thanks.

I'm not aware of any legal requirement for a claimant to give permission for the DWP to contact their health professionals, although it would likely be to their disadvantage to refuse access.

I suspect that the call centre staff were making it up as they went.

If you do want to refuse permission then I would suggest that you write a letter explaining this and send it to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jarkwoman

More
7 years 10 months ago #162912 by jarkwoman
Thanks for that advice, I will write them a letter doing just that and see what happens. I've nothing to lose. And so should not (sadly) be surprised at antics like this.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris