× Members

ESA support group but required to attend interview

More
7 years 9 months ago #162862 by steven
Hiya

ill try and keep this as short as possible .

I have received a letter today telling me I have now been placed in support group . But , the letter also says the following --- " We have decided you have potential for work related activity and must take part in work focused interviews to continue to receive ESA in full "

I'm a little confused as I thought that's what the wrag group was , which I have just been moved out of .

Anyone shed some light on this ?

Also when I showed the original letter to my adviser which said I have now been placed in support group I was told I would just get a phone call now and then but no longer need to attend unless I chose to .

So ye a little confused at the moment

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #162879 by slugsta
Hi Steven,

I'm afraid I can't throw any light on this at all! You are perfectly correct in saying that you should not be mandated to undertake any work focused activities while you are in the Support Group :unsure:

I think this is one of those times when you will need to contact DWP and ask what is going on.

Please reply to this message when you have further questions - or information - and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your computer now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steven

More
7 years 9 months ago #162957 by steven
I called the ESA line yesterday and questioned the letter only to be told that if that's what the letter says then that's what it is .

I explained to them that when I showed the previous letter saying I have moved to support group from wrag my adviser just said she would call me on in a months time to see how I was doing .

So I have been declared unfit for work yet a, expected to find work as if I was in wrag group . I'm still confused right now . But will just wait for the next letter .

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #163013 by slugsta
Hi Steven,

I continue to be as confused as you! There are only two different groups of main phase ESA - Work Related Activity Group and Support Group. Being mandated to carry out Work Related Activities is the whole purpose of the WRAG. There is no such duty when in the Support Group.

The only time that this might differ is if someone who is in the Support Group voluntarily undertakes Work Related Activities - then this can become mandatory. But that doesn't seem to apply to you.

It sounds as if you spoke to one of the 'run of the mill' telephone answering bods who often have little knowledge or understanding of the system! You can phone again and request a call back from a supervisor, these people usually have more knowledge. A call back usually takes 3 hours plus, so it is worth doing this early in the day.

You said you will wait for another letter - are you expecting one?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steven

More
7 years 9 months ago #163075 by steven
thank you again , I will call them again :)

Yes I am expecting another letter as they say they will write to me about seeing an adviser and I must attend or it could affect benefits

I'm just not sure if this is part of the template or they are actually going to write to me .

More
7 years 9 months ago #163084 by slugsta
I would expect any letter about Work Related Activities to be sent by the Job Centre rather than DWP themselves.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.