× Members

Notification of ESA ending at retirement age?

More
7 years 9 months ago #163068 by Steve Blue
Hi all -

I think one of my previous queries has touched upon this subject, but I'll ask again now the subject is more immediate. My dad reaches retirement age tomorrow - Happy Birthday! - but he's still received no notification that his ESA will end. Is this unusual?

I believe you'd previously advised that it would stop automatically and that he should receive notification, but as yet, nothing. I would have thought that the DWP would have jumped at the chance to end a benefit they no longer needed to pay.

On a separate issue (related, but not with Benefits and Work) he has still received notification of his pension either, despite forms being completed.

I've tried to put his mind at rest, advising that they will have stopped his ESA, and just haven't gotten around to sending a letter yet, but he's concerned that they'll continue to pay it, and he'll have to pay it back at a later date.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #163082 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Notification of ESA ending at retirement age?
Hi Bluebear,

Well, if the system works properly your father's ESA will stop and his state retirement pension start without any problems.

Yes, it's flying pig time again! :laugh:

The ESA isn't a big problem - if it continues to be paid, make sure your father sets it aside ready to be repaid. Then contact the ESA dept of DWP and tell them.

SRP not being paid would be a bigger problem, in this case the pension department should be contacted.

I hope that, despite my earlier comment, things do go smoothly and your father can relax, free from constant ESA reassessments :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrissy v, Steve Blue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.