× Members

Carer's Allowance - confused about a question

More
7 years 9 months ago #163069 by Bluebelle
Hi

I live in Northern Ireland and thanks to all the help and advice contained in your wonderful guides I was recently successful in claiming DLA. I was awarded Higher Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility.

My Carer is now completing a claim form for Carer's Allowance and we are confused about a question on the claim form: it asks "When do you want your Carer's Allowance Claim to start?". Is the answer to this meant to be the date that I was awarded my DLA from or is it meant to be the actual date on which they started caring for me, which was a few years ago?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163086 by Gordon

Bluebelle wrote: Hi

I live in Northern Ireland and thanks to all the help and advice contained in your wonderful guides I was recently successful in claiming DLA. I was awarded Higher Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility.

My Carer is now completing a claim form for Carer's Allowance and we are confused about a question on the claim form: it asks "When do you want your Carer's Allowance Claim to start?". Is the answer to this meant to be the date that I was awarded my DLA from or is it meant to be the actual date on which they started caring for me, which was a few years ago?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help.

If this was a new claim for DLA then your carer can claim from the date that your DLA was awarded from..

I don't know if it is relevant, but once there CA claim has been accepted, they can then make a claim for Income Support as a carer, subject to their meeting the requirements to receive IS.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.