× Members

Why physical ability tested in PIP medical for mh?

More
7 years 9 months ago #163183 by Yorkiegal73
I am claiming PIP on mental health grounds so was quite surprised at today's medical when the assessor made me lift my arms up and move my head and grip my fingers. Now I'm worried there was a sneaky reason for this, such as the ability to follow instructions. Perhaps I'm being paranoid. He did seem very nice throughout and confirmed that he was a nurse with mental health training. I cried through most of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163201 by Gordon

Yorkiegal73 wrote: I am claiming PIP on mental health grounds so was quite surprised at today's medical when the assessor made me lift my arms up and move my head and grip my fingers. Now I'm worried there was a sneaky reason for this, such as the ability to follow instructions. Perhaps I'm being paranoid. He did seem very nice throughout and confirmed that he was a nurse with mental health training. I cried through most of it.

I wouldn't read too much into it, it's a standard part of the assessment, even though you may have only completed the mental health section of the form the assessor has an obligation to still assess your capabilities for the physical section.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #163279 by Yorkiegal73
Replied by Yorkiegal73 on topic Why physical ability tested in PIP medical for mh?
Thank you Gordon. I distrust them so much it's hard not to pick apart the assessment and worry. This morning I received a letter from ATOS to say they are writing to my gp for more evidence, yet just now I've received a text from the dwp to say that they now have all the info required to make a decision!

Incidentally the "nice" nurse did irritate me with one line of questioning when he asked me if I cook. I explained how I never cook due to fatigue plus thoughts of self harm around boiling water and sharp knives. So then he asked "what is your signature dish?"
Not sure he was happy with my answer of takeaway pizza.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.