× Members

ESA result but slightly odd situation!

More
7 years 9 months ago #163237 by Matthew Trower
ESA result but slightly odd situation! was created by Matthew Trower
Dear All,
Have had the usual stress and strains of claiming ESA at the end of January 2016. I gave up work after a downturn in my health both physically and mentally.
So I received the brown envelope on Monday (11/07/2016) with the decision that I have been placed in the WRAG group.
No real surprise there, however, I had already made my mind up to ask for a mandatory reconsideration if WRAG was the outcome.
So phoned on Monday and asked for a copy of the decision to be sent and also for a decision maker to phone to also verbally explain their reasoning.

So I received the phone call as promised Tuesday afternoon from a very pleasant lady. She had clearly studied my file going back to 2008 which is always refreshing!
She asked if I knew what the Work Related group was, I said I did. Then she said, "I understand you have asked for a mandatory reconsideration". I said I had. She then went on to explain to me that having looked at my history and reading the medical assessment up to a point, she believed that I should be in the support group!
However, the doctor that I had seen had not made it at all clear about my wheelchair use, and the reasons I struggle to self-propel.

I cleared this up with her suggesting that the doctor had been most unfair in her explanation and that she had left out some critical information!
The lady then said that she is going to put me in the support group; just like that! Well, what a relief; I won't quite believe it until I get the letter confirming it.

The point I want to make is that I could have easily settled for the WRAG group but one phone call made all the difference. It seems that it all depends on the person on the other end of the phone. Who you get to perform your medical assessment (An awful way to try to ascertain someone's health condition and daily struggles), and of course how well you fill in the E50 form where the whole process starts!

One thing is for sure, being a subscriber to benefits & work and having access to all those documents and guides is just amazing. As well as a huge forum of people discussing issues, successes and failures are incredibly helpful.
Thank you, one and all.

Best wishes
Matt x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163242 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic ESA result but slightly odd situation!
Hello Matthew

It's so very nice to hear of such a good outcome, and to find that some of the assessors/decision makers are both human and helpful. As yu say, it's always wise to question any award - you might just be fortunate, as you are.

Thank you for the kind things you have to say about the website; glad the guides were of help to you. Good luck in the future. :) :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #163250 by raindaisy
Replied by raindaisy on topic ESA result but slightly odd situation!
very reassuring to know some DWP DM are returning to common sense , and professional conduct , as they used to , many many years ago, rather than ticking stat boxes and following punitive directions in the name of austerity. perhaps , hopefully, with all the attention on Westminster shenanigans for the time being , they can get on and do their job , without the pressure of meeting targets and stats and the secretary of state breathing down their necks! fingers crossed.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163324 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA result but slightly odd situation!
That's great news Matthew! Thanks for letting us know and for your kind words about B+W :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.