× Members

PIP Query

More
7 years 9 months ago #163532 by Krill
PIP Query was created by Krill
Hi,

I have got my pip decision letter and have some questions.

I never had a face to face assessment and I also had no letters or medical evidence to send in so just filled the form and sent it in.

I have been awarded 9 points for daily living but judging from the letter they have made the decisions around the fact that during the day I can function pretty well. My problems start early evening when the build up of pain through the day and the fatigue from daily chemo drugs leave me unable to even get up.

I am sure I read somewhere in the guide about if an activity applies at anytime during 24 hours then it has to be counted but am wondering if i was just dreaming?

I got 4 for preparing food
3 for washing and bathing
2 for dressing and undressing.

But I do think the decision maker took no notice of how the pain and drugs effect me by the evening time in which I become a different person, although I went into full detail of this on every part of the form.

The second mistake is the mobility. On the initial round up it says i can't award PIP for mobility needs and shows no back payment for this. Yet in the scoring they have scored 12 points for moving around so I don't know which is correct.

In the decision letter, it says- The information shows your health condition or disability causes you great difficulty standing and then moving around. This is consistent with your medical history, your description of a typical day, the available evidence and the information you provided about how your disability effects you. I cannot consider any help you need not covered by the activities for daily living and mobilty, including being near to a toilet, stairs and walking on slopes and uneven surfaces.

I am not sure whether this means I am supposed to be getting the mobility or not, one place it says no, the other yes?

As for the daily living, I am guessing I now do a reconsideration? and perhaps send in more evidence from doctors/ oncologist?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163543 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Query
Krill

Although you can argue that a problem completing an activity at some point in a day can be relevant to the whole day, it will be entirely dependant on the activity and the time of day that you are affected. A good example would be if you have issues with washing and bathing in the morning, then it would be reasonable to argue that would have an impact for the rest of the day.

As your issues appear to be in the evening I think you will find it more difficult to argue your case, although not impossible, again as an example if you have treatment that must be undertaken in the evening then your additional problems at that time might allow you to score more points.

As to your Mobility. The Moving Around activity test your ability to stand and move (walk) a distance, it can only consider physical issues that restrict the distance you can move. I'm guessing that the inclusion of references to stairs slopes, or toilet needs, etc. are from your PIP2, I'm afraid I would not expect these to be taken into account for the Moving Around activity, the test only considers level ground and needing to stay near a toilet would not be considered as restricting your walking.

If you want to consider a Mandatory Reconsideration then the first thing you need to look at is your ability to score the extra points for a higher award., if you believe that you can reasonable achieve this then you need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krill

More
7 years 9 months ago #163547 by Krill
Replied by Krill on topic PIP Query
Thanks Gordon,

I am still puzzled by the mobility aspect. It says in the summary page I have nothing yet in the pages showing where I scored points it says 12 for mobility and 9 for daily living.

I understand what you mean by evenings being more difficult. The decision maker did write if I can eat breafast and lunch then I have had enough nutrition for the day, although I think being expected to go from lunch to breakfast the next day without eating alittle unfair.

I will start the ball rolling on Monday and this time send more evidence.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163595 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Query

Krill wrote: Thanks Gordon,

I am still puzzled by the mobility aspect. It says in the summary page I have nothing yet in the pages showing where I scored points it says 12 for mobility and 9 for daily living.

I understand what you mean by evenings being more difficult. The decision maker did write if I can eat breafast and lunch then I have had enough nutrition for the day, although I think being expected to go from lunch to breakfast the next day without eating alittle unfair.

I will start the ball rolling on Monday and this time send more evidence.

You should certainly raise the issue of the points discrepancy If you request an MR, it's possible that the DM felt that they allocated for invalid reasons.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.