× Members

ESA, PIP and studying

More
7 years 9 months ago #163557 by Prudent
ESA, PIP and studying was created by Prudent
I have had to give up my career this year as even with some adjustments it was not compatible with my illness. My consultant & GP both feel I am still not fit enough to work. I am finding going from a full on and demanding career to nothing a big change. Mainly it is positive as I am able to manage my illness better, but I do miss some aspects of work.I am wondering about the possibility of doing a college course as a step for retraining for a part time role in a new occupation.

I looked online and found that if I get pip I can remain on ESA while studying. However I only had my pip assessment two days ago and was told it will be eight weeks until I hear the decision.The course I want to do starts in five weeks.

Will I be either able to stay on ESA until the decision comes through or have my ESA reinstated without starting from scratch again if I get PIP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163603 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA, PIP and studying

Prudent wrote: I have had to give up my career this year as even with some adjustments it was not compatible with my illness. My consultant & GP both feel I am still not fit enough to work. I am finding going from a full on and demanding career to nothing a big change. Mainly it is positive as I am able to manage my illness better, but I do miss some aspects of work.I am wondering about the possibility of doing a college course as a step for retraining for a part time role in a new occupation.

I looked online and found that if I get pip I can remain on ESA while studying. However I only had my pip assessment two days ago and was told it will be eight weeks until I hear the decision.The course I want to do starts in five weeks.

Will I be either able to stay on ESA until the decision comes through or have my ESA reinstated without starting from scratch again if I get PIP?

It depends on the type of ESA you are receiving and the course that you are doing, have a look at the following.

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...d-questions-students

If you did have to close your ESA claim then there is a 12 week linking rule which allows a rapid reclaim, outside of the 12 weeks it would have to be a new claim. Depending on when your original claim was made, this may impact on your eligibility for ESA(CB) if applicable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.