× Members

DLA to PIP Award Reduced

More
7 years 9 months ago #163863 by ButterRainbow
Replied by ButterRainbow on topic DLA to PIP Award Reduced
I'm so sorry for the delay in replying, I had spent a while trying to get my head around the information in the guides, going back over the report and looking at my original form. I ended up falling asleep as I felt exhausted. My PIP form is not great, but I keep reminding myself there is nothing I can do about it now. Lesson learned not to go to such an important appointment alone again :-)

That's a really good point, thank you for the advice re challenging the report. I could not cope with the stress of another assessment and I don't want to come across as mean to them, when it's 2-3 of criteria I disagree with. Opposed to the full report.

I have went over the PIP Appeal Submissions guide and I was wondering if the sample written submission structure on p.13 is an ok format to use at the MR stage, or is it only for the later stage? Sorry if I've asked a silly question, I have got myself a little confused. I really like the fact that it includes an undisputed grounds section, as there are some sections where I agree with the points the assessor has (and has not) given me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163864 by ButterRainbow
Hi Walker,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry you are going through this too. I do not understand how an assessor can observe the person in front of them struggling to communicate and still justify awarding less or zero points for that activity.

I feel the same way, as I would have struggled more to speak with the assessor had I not had someone who knows me there. It feels like a catch 22. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I hope everything goes well with your MR. Although, I understand what you mean about having low hopes for a successful reconsideration. I will try, but I really do not hold out much hope for success.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163873 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP Award Reduced
Hi BR,

Yes, by all means use the sample submission for your MR if you find it helpful.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #164287 by ButterRainbow
Hi again,

Just thought I'd post an update. After myself and my carer working on writing a MR letter for the past 4-5 days, it was finally posted today. I tried to keep it as short as possible so as to not put the DM off. It was still 2.5 pages long. Eep.

I decided not to challenge every activity I disagreed with, and I focused my energy on the descriptors I 100% with out a doubt believe I should have either been awarded points for or a higher point criteria. I tackled 3 of them. I hope this is not too many.

My concerns are that for one of the activities I had scored zero points for, taking nutrition, the assessor completely disregarded and did not write my explanations in their report. So I am worried this will go against me. I had explained to the assessor that for the last three years, due to a combination of my ED and anxiety both around food and caused by general life situations, I choke on my food and lose the ability to swallow. I had a series of tests and was prescribed lorazipam to see if anxiety was the cause of my swallowing disorder, it was. This happens to me at least once most days (I have other food/motivation issues so I don't eat very much/often otherwise it would probably be more often). It can take me 20 mins to try and eat one slice of toast because of my choking. I usually give up. I also see a therapist each month for ED support. None of this was noted in the report. Instead the justification included zero points because I was not on any supplemental drinks. This is one reason I did not agree with but I am worried that because there is no mention in the report,my explanations will be disregarded.

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to wait and stress. I don't hold much hope, but at least I have tried. I am so grateful for this site and the guides. I would have been lost without them, as i do not understand the system at all.

More
7 years 9 months ago #164288 by ButterRainbow
Ps I had been told there is currently a MR backlog of up to 10 weeks, but once I hear from them I'll post an update. Although I am wracked with worry about this, I feel strangely received that it's finally in.

More
7 years 9 months ago #165022 by ButterRainbow
Hi again,

Sorry to be a pain with more questions. So I posted my MR over a week ago via special delivery. It was received the following morning. I have today received a text message saying they have received it and I do not need to contact them again. Is this standard practice? Is it not quite quick?

I'm shaking with fear and anxiety now and every worst case scenario is going through my head. I'm terrified at what it means.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.