× Members

Choosing a sanction over participating in wrag

More
7 years 10 months ago #164738 by RandomName43
I have just been put on wrag after being in the support group once. I did not use this site for my first two assessments but I will use it for the next one. I am on esa for severe depression and as I hardly ever leave the house, I hardly need any money. I can easily live on the reduced rates.

I just wanted to ask if there are any pitfalls to look out for. I plan to get a friend to call them with me to move the first wrag appointment back as far as possible so a friend can get time of work to come with me. Then I was thinking of just getting the sanction when I miss the appointment and staying sanctioned until I get assessed again.

Maybe I could go to the first appointment to delay the sanction but I neither have the will to attend their appointments all the time or to appeal. I worry that appealing could result in not getting esa at all plus the tribunal sounds scary. I can very easily survive on my housing benefit plus the £73 a week that my esa will be reduced to. So I will just focus on getting the willpower to register at a new gp. (I cant go to my old one as I am out of the area now)

Would I be right in assuming that they will reassess in about a year and I have another shot at the support group or I could just stay on the wrag sanctioned rates forever for all I care.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #164772 by Gordon
Jim

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

One immediate comment, it is now the Personal Allowance that is sanctioned so you would only receive the WRAG component of £29.05/week.

I would wait until you spoken with your JC+ advisor before you make any firm plans.

You can challenge the Decision to place you in the WRAG, see our ESA Appeal guide for details,

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RandomName43

More
7 years 10 months ago #164822 by Derek4
Hi Jim,

If you do get sanctioned for any reason check to see if you qualify for hardship payments (they are usually not payable for the first two weeks). Also consider appealing the decision if you feel the demands placed upon you are unreasonable.

Regards,

Derek

More
7 years 10 months ago #164848 by RandomName43
Replied by RandomName43 on topic Choosing a sanction over participating in wrag
Just to clarify, do you mean that if I get sanctioned I only get £29.05 a week plus my housing benefit? I could in theory just barely break even with that amount as I only rent a cheap room which my housing benefit completely pays. I also have some savings.

You are probably right, I could at least go to the first appointment, maybe I will just try to go along with these meetings for a while at least to build more savings on the full rate.

I just got a letter today saying that I only scored 21 points. A few days after the letter telling me of my first wrag appointment. I would prefer to just enter financial purgatory until my decision is looked at again. But I am going to try to keep a level head, read all the guides and reconsider my options. I know I have to challenge within a month so I will not leave it too long.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #164854 by Gordon
Jim

Yes, only the £29.05 per week plus any HB.

You also need to let your Local Authority know if you are sanctioned as the DWP often fail to tell the LA that the reduction in ESA is due to a sanction rather than any other reasons.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.