× Members

Forced PIP before end of DLA award?

More
7 years 10 months ago #164739 by BenefitsBod
Forced PIP before end of DLA award? was created by BenefitsBod
I currently receive DLA (low Mob; mid Care) and the award period was/is due to end in December this year (2016). I have had no material change in circumstances and, although supposedly separate, my ESA has just been reviewed with the award remaining intact.

However, I have received a letter stating I MUST now claim PIP (deadline 22-Aug) and, during a telecon with the DWP, I have been informed that failure to claim PIP will result in my DLA being terminated before the original end of award date. Is this legally correct?

If so, I suppose the best thing to do is make the claim a day or two before the deadline date, thus keeping the DLA for as long as possible - are there any potential pitfalls with this approach?

Any help would be appreciated - I will of course be looking at the various documents on site regarding the completion of the PIP form.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #164774 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Forced PIP before end of DLA award?
Kevin

The PIP legislation allows the DWP to close any current DLA claim if the claimant does not make a claim for PIP within the required timescales.

I would allow more than a couple of days to make the call, members have reported the PIP Claim line to be very busy, but other than this there is no problem with what you are suggesting.

Have a look at the PIP Claim guide for more details of the process/

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenefitsBod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.