× Members

ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow

More
7 years 9 months ago #165271 by SL1612
ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow was created by SL1612
Hi
I have my appeal hearing tomorrow. Dreading it!
Not sure what to expect
Can anyone tell me who will be in attendance and what is likely to happen eyc so I can at least have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks

Elaine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #165273 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow
Hello SL1612

There should be a clerk there when you arrive to explain to you the procedure and to take you to the room where the Tribunal is held.

Usually there is a Judge, a Medical Professional and a lay person who has knowledge of disability and possibly disability rights.

Questions can vary but you should expect to be asked about your physical and/or mental health issues; you should try to be exact in your answers but don't offer any more information than they ask for - don't just keep talking for the sake of it, the Judge may be silent because he/she is taking note of your responses.

It's difficult to be more precise than that. Remind yourself before you go what exactly you have said on your appeal form; don't elaborate on it and please don't change your symptoms and/or your methods of dealing with them!

Be aware that someone will be watching you from the minute you appear; be aware that they will notice what you are wearing (don't wear elaborate clothing that's difficult to put on and off if you have difficulties with your arms/hands for example. If you have mobility issues then make sure someone drops you very close to your Tribunal building. They will ask you how you travelled and how you managed etc. All common sense really, I suppose, but not easy when you're worried!!

Good luck with the Tribunal. We hope you get the award you want. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #165274 by sweet
Replied by sweet on topic ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow
hi

can i ask if your info is right i have never been to tribunal yet but i was under the impression that on esa tribunal you only have

judge plus doctor

pip medical you have

judge doctor plus layperson

op was asking about esa so only 2 peeps on panel

shelam wrote: Hello SL1612

There should be a clerk there when you arrive to explain to you the procedure and to take you to the room where the Tribunal is held.

Usually there is a Judge, a Medical Professional and a lay person who has knowledge of disability and possibly disability rights.

Questions can vary but you should expect to be asked about your physical and/or mental health issues; you should try to be exact in your answers but don't offer any more information than they ask for - don't just keep talking for the sake of it, the Judge may be silent because he/she is taking note of your responses.

It's difficult to be more precise than that. Remind yourself before you go what exactly you have said on your appeal form; don't elaborate on it and please don't change your symptoms and/or your methods of dealing with them!

Be aware that someone will be watching you from the minute you appear; be aware that they will notice what you are wearing (don't wear elaborate clothing that's difficult to put on and off if you have difficulties with your arms/hands for example. If you have mobility issues then make sure someone drops you very close to your Tribunal building. They will ask you how you travelled and how you managed etc. All common sense really, I suppose, but not easy when you're worried!!

Good luck with the Tribunal. We hope you get the award you want. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #165280 by Lily
Replied by Lily on topic ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow
I had one abt 3 year ago a room with a table 3 sat opposite the judge was nice (dressed ordinary ) the dr ask the questions ....just a re run of your problems lasted abt 20mins ... no trick questions sent me out after deliberation ......called me back give me esa....they expect nerves and were not at all condescending x

More
7 years 8 months ago #165324 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Appeal hearing tomorrow
Sweet

Yes you are correct, for an ESA appeal there is only a Judge and a Doctor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.