× Members

PIP- mobiiity assessment criteria

More
7 years 9 months ago #165319 by nik
Hi all.. i have a couple of questions that i would really appreciate some help wiith

1. Re: activity 11 planning and following journeys
DWP Guidelines quote that a person should only be considered able to follow an unfamiliar journey if they are capable of using public transport (buses and trains).
I also understand that the Going Out activity only considers mental health, cognitive or sensory.
I definitely cant use public transport (buses and trains) due to mobility problems, but I also have cognitive issues /anxiety which would mean I cannot plan the route of a journey and the “hypothetical “ following the route of an unfamiliar journey very difficult and psychologically distressing.

Some of the anxiety and distress that would be caused by an unfamiliar journey is around my unpredictable physical health, limitations and safety .e.g. threat of severe body spasms which require me to get to somewhere safe and immediately lie down.

Does this mean that psychological distress due to physical health will be taken into account and that I should mention this?

If not ..Where else in the PIP form is any account of being unable to use any public transport and being solely dependant on my carer get taken into consideration?

2. I understand that activity 11 and 12 are used to determine mobility award and that a minimum of 8 points is required for standard rate and 12 points for enhanced.
do they add together the points awarded for 11 and 12?
Or do you need to be awarded 8 or 12 points on one or another of the activities individually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #165348 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP- mobiiity assessment criteria
Nik

1. The usage of Public Transport is not clear, although the DWP guidance makes specific reference to it, the legal definition of the Descriptor makes no such reference and we have seen Decision Makers refuse to award points for this reasons.

The bottom line is that all you can do is argue your case in detail and see what happens. I think that tying your anxiety to something that is inherently a physical issue will weaken your case.

I'm afraid there is no where else where your problems with using Public Transport can be taken into account, the Moving Around activity only consider your ability to stand and then move (walk).

2. It's the total points for both activities that is used for an award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.