× Members

Deaf person changing from DLA to PIP. Any advice?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165535 by andrew arthur
Applying for PIP is slighly different for deaf people as we are assessed under the Communication section of the form and so we have to provide evidence of how deafness affects our lives.

In many cases this means working up the application from scratch by collecting evidence and so forth. I'm looking for advice on the most effective way to go about it.

Anyone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #165550 by slugsta
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

As you say, the qualifying criteria for PIP are rather different from those relating to DLA and it needs a different approach to the application.

Our PIP guide will help you understand exactly what the criteria are and how best to frame your replies in terms that the assessor and Decision Maker (the DM will have no medical training or knowledge) understand.

PIP help for claimants

The DWP are trying to get everyone to initiate the claim over the phone. Legally, there is the option to request a paper PIP1 form to fill in at home - but we have members who have had a real struggle to get hold of one :angry: Although I hate the idea of pandering to DWP, if you can get someone to help you make the initial claim over the phone it will probably be easier for you in the long run!

Members are welcome to comment from their own experience. The problem is that the forum often moves quickly and your topic soon drops out of sight - so please don't feel rejected if you don't get many replies!

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your PIP without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one topic - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew arthur

More
7 years 8 months ago #166416 by andrew arthur
Replied by andrew arthur on topic Deaf person changing from DLA to PIP. Any advice?
Not sure if you have seen this, it's quite recent. It provides some useful definitions and describes what sort of deafness might be expected to satisfy the requirements.

www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKUT/AAC/2016/160.html

Also here is a discussion in Rightsnet which again describes the sort of condition that might score the points needed.

www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7963/

I hope this will help other deaf people searching for the right way forward. It really is very hard to get good information about deaf people applying for PIP and yet there is a great demand for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.