× Members

Notifying DWP of occupational pension award

More
7 years 9 months ago #165949 by Prudent
I have been awarded an occupational ill health pension. I am claiming contributions based ESA and have been placed in the support group. I have just been given the figures and will (hopefully) receive my first pension payment at the end of August. I know I have to inform the DWP. Please can you tell me if I should write or phone or and what address/ phone number do I use?

Although I have just received this award I am entitled to a back payment of my pension starting from 16/6/2016, so nine extra weeks. I know that I will be due money to the DWP as I have been receiving the full ESA payment in this time. Will I be able to make them a payment for that amount or will it come off future payments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #165955 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Notifying DWP of occupational pension award
Hi Prudent,

We always advise notifying DWP of this kind of thing in writing, then you will have something tangible if there should be any problem in the future. You should send the letter to the address at the top of the last letter you had from them relating to your ESA.

You might be lucky and have the backpay classed as assets rather than income. I had a lump-sum in backpayment when I first got my pension, notified DWP but they did not consider there had been an overpayment. If DWP do consider there is an overpayment, I would expect them to deduct if from future payments.

The first £85 per week will be disregarded, then you will lose 50p for every extra £1 of pension. If this takes you over your personal allowance for tax purposes, your tax will be taken from your pension as DWP do not deduct tax.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

More
7 years 9 months ago #165969 by Prudent
Replied by Prudent on topic Notifying DWP of occupational pension award
Thank you for another helpful reply. I will write to the DWP tomorrow and send them all the figures. From your information I think I will still get around £62 a week which will help a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 9 months ago #165981 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Notifying DWP of occupational pension award
Hi Prudent,

Your reply didn't get lost, it's just that every post has to be read and approved by a mod before it is published and we had gone 'off duty' :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.