× Members

Just had surgery - can PIP claim be delayed?

More
7 years 8 months ago #166444 by Cathplum
Hi,

I'm making an enquiry on behalf of a friend who is unwell after having surgery for lung cancer.

My friend has a PIP claim that needs to be returned at the end of this month. She was too stressed before operation to fill it out and now after surgery for removing another lob from her lung due to lung cancer (lung cancer has returned after 4 years) she is too weak.

Can she get an extension for returning her PIP form?

Who should she contact? She did try to phone but hung up after 15 minutes - twice.

Can I contact someone on her behalf?

She really needs someone to help her.

Thanks for your help, so that I can help her to start.

Cath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166449 by shelam
Hello CSP

You can certainly help your friend; you do need to contact the DWP first. If you telephone them (I'm sure they'll answer the phone some time!) and explain the circumstances there should be no problem with asking for an extension - usually they will give you two weeks.Follow your telephone request with a letter explaining the circumstances - don't forget to put your friend's name and national insurance number on the letter.

A very delicate question, your friend hasn't been issued with a DS1500 has she? If she has, this is a special circumstance that can speed up any applications, and you will need to make the DWP aware of this. PLEASE be careful if you ask your friend about this. I don't want to upset her, but it is important with regard to her claiming.

Is she undergoing any chemotherapy or radiotherapy,because if she is you need to make the DWP aware of this also.

I am so very sorry your friend is having to go through this. If we can help at all please get back to us. and all good wishes to your friend. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cathplum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.