× Members

ATOS Home Assessment - Moral Support Needed!!!

More
7 years 8 months ago #167136 by gci01
Hi - ATOS are coming on Friday and although I have read and read your help pages I am still getting very nervous. Is there anything I really need to remember to do or say? Are they likely to want to see where my commode is kept (no problem only if we need to hoover round it!!)?

I don't know why but I am really panicing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #167146 by slugsta
I am sorry this is so stressful for you :(

The home assessment will follow much the same outline as if it were being carried out in an assessment centre. What to expect is explained in our ESA guide.

It is your home and the assessor has no further rights than any other visitor to it.

It is up to you to decide in which room the interview is carried out and who you have with you.

The assessor does not have the right to investigate the rest of your home (from what we have heard, they do not usually ask to do so) but it is up to you if you wish them to see any aids or adaptations that you have.

Just a word of warning - the assessor might turn up early, on time, late - or not at all :angry:

Some of our members might be able to reassure you from their own experience of home assessments . . .

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167166 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic ATOS Home Assessment - Moral Support Needed!!!
Hi

I had my PIP home assessment back in May. The guy turned up on time, he was here for just over an hour. To be honest he seemed very focused on just getting the assessment over with. He didn't look around or make unnecessary conversation. He didn't ask to look in any other rooms. Most of the time he was typing on his laptop.

There is a very useful guide on this site that tells you the sort of questions they might ask you. I would read it and try and prepare yourself. Hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 8 months ago #167170 by solitude
Replied by solitude on topic ATOS Home Assessment - Moral Support Needed!!!
I had a home assessment and I would advise you to tape the meeting. I was going to and had bought a Dictaphone and had it all ready. However I was so nervous that I forgot. The lady who saw me seemed really nice but a few weeks later I found out I had received no points and the notes from my home assessment contained a lot of factually incorrect misinterpretation/observations. I really wish I had taped everything now. Perhaps knowing that it is being recorded might have deterred any 'confusion' about what I had said from taking place.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167173 by Gordon
You can covertly record the assessment, just be aware that if discovered then the assessor may terminate the assessment for failing to comply.

If you want to openly record it then you need written permission and you must use two recording devices direct to tape of CD.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #167178 by ploppy
I received a phone call the day before that they were coming so no time to get anything ready. I, like yourself felt something should be on show to mirror my disability, but I have nothing much, except grab rails, a walking stick & pick up grabber. So, that was it. The house is always tidy so no worries there. The next morning after a wash, putting on a t shirt nightie I lay down on the settee. I was in terrible pain actually and couldn't have cared less in the end. He arrived, my carer offered him a drink, & I offered him a seat & I just lay there. All my medication was on the table & papers they want to see. He was nice, asked a few questions about my medications (side effects), asked how I did various tasks like cooking to which I said my carer prepares my meals, asked where I ate, I said on the settee, asked about aids to help & I said they were all useless as I'd tried them in the past, if I had a dossier, yes I said my carer does it.. I was so unwell that I didn't elaborate, ask anything, I just stayed quiet & answered what he asked & in not much detail. I think he already knew by seeing me I was in terrible pain & didn't push me to do anything, not even get up. Here only 20mins. Infact at one point I nearly dozed off. He didn't ask to see anything. I was so calm because I'd gone beyond caring, all my fears vanished yet the night before I was terrified.
Just go with the flow, every assessor is so different, mine was fine. Just be yourself, I was in pain, breathless & very hot even with doors & windows open, but it was boiling that day and I didn't try and hide it. I even said hello to my cat when she strolled in, I didn't care if he saw it.
Good luck & try not to worry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.