× Members

DLA to PIP Interview for my son.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167286 by 1540
DLA to PIP Interview for my son. was created by 1540
Hi, looking for a bit of support and advice please?

My son has severe anxiety, low mood & OCD which he takes meds for. He was recently diagnosed with ADD & is due to begin a meds trial for this next week.

He has been in receipt of DLA for 2 years now, it was awarded after a year long process following a tribunal and an increased rate was awarded a year later at Man Reconsideration stage. He turned 16 a couple of months ago and has been given an appt for an interview at home the week after next. The letter says it will be ATOS who are going to come and see him.

He struggles with attending CAMHS or meeting new people as it is, the day they are coming is supposed to be his second day at his new school and he is extremely worried; he finds it difficult to articulate his issues and really doesn't like discussing them.

I have read through the guides myself and also with him but just looking for a bit of moral support I suppose but also concerned about whether this assessor will have any understanding of mental health? Are they likely to be a nurse or have any specific knowledge to be able to put him at ease? Will they ask me any questions? If he doesn't want to talk much (which is usual for him) how will they handle that?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167303 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP Interview for my son.

I'm afraid it is impossible to predict what qualifications the assessor will have, but only a few of the assessors are doctors and most of the nurses only have general knowledge.

If he is unable to communicate with the assessor on the day or severely limited then it should be OK for you to speak on his behalf but it is essential that you explain the situation to the assessor and you must allow your son the opportunity to answer, rather than leaping in with a reply.

Best of luck

GOrdon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #167325 by 1540
Replied by 1540 on topic DLA to PIP Interview for my son.
Thank you for your response.

A lady from DWP came to our house to help with completing the forms and she told me if someone visits for an interview that we should ask about their qualifications or suitability to interview my son?

Please can you tell me, is it okay to ask this? Is it rude to ask? If we do ask, should we do this on the phone prior to interview or when they arrive at our home? Same question goes for explaining his difficulties to the assessor.

Our GP has offered to to write a letter of support if there's anything she can add but she wrote a full report a few months ago for DLA and only change since then has been his ADD diagnosis and meds beginning. Is there anything anyone can suggest about this please?

Thanks in advance....

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #167336 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP Interview for my son.
Hi 1540,

You are perfectly entitled to ask the assessor which discipline they come from - eg doctor, midwfe, physio. However, DWP take the view that the assessors have been specifically trained for the job and that is all that matters.

It is worth outlining you son' problems replying to the assessor on the day, this is the only way you can guarantee they have been informed!

If the GP can write something specifically related to the PIP descriptors, that would be most helpful.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.